Chapter 5

Jethro had been pacing around the waiting room for 24 hours. He'd only stopped to get him another coffee. The trash can was over-filling with coffee cups that he'd drunk. A doctor appeared and started walking towards him. He stopped pacing and walked towards the doctor.

"It was touch and go for a while but your wife is strong. Special Agent Sloane suffered many cuts and bruises from her attack. Her leg has been broken even worse but other than that, she's alive and you may see her now," the doctor says and walks away. Jethro smiles at the "wife" comment from the doctor. 'That sounds really nice', he thinks to himself.

Jethro walks into Jack's room. He takes a deep breath and looks over at the love of his life. She looked so hurt and in pain. He walked up to the hospital bed that she was in and took her hand. He had zoned out of everything.

"Jethro? Hello? Why are you ignoring me?," Jack says and Jethro finally snaps back into reality. "Oh. I'm sorry, Jack. I think I just zoned out,"

"How are you feeling, honey?," Jethro asks Jack. "I'm in pain. I've got a headache and just about everything besides that hurts. But I'll be fine, Cowboy," Jack answers. Jethro gave Jack's hand a small squeeze.

"If I wouldn't have taken my time, I could've saved you from most; if not all of your pain," Jethro says; basically blaming himself. "No, no. Jethro, it's not your fault. I shouldn't have left without telling anyone where I was going. I was on desk duty. I shouldn't have disobeyed Vance's order. I'm sorry," Jack says.

"Jack, if it's not my fault, it sure as hell isn't yours. Vance and I both know you are stubborn and we both knew at least a bit that you weren't going to follow that 'Desk Duty' order. There's nothing to be sorry about. I love you, Jack and I want to ask you to dinner once you get discharged from here," Jethro says. "Yes," Jack simply says and squeezes Jethro's hand.