Chapter 28

She closed her office door and started walking without her crutches on her foot. She wanted to gain the strength back. She wanted to be able to protect her babies when they needed her. She put pressure on her foot and she screamed. She then fell. Jethro heard the scream and bolted up the stairs and to his wife's office.

When he opened the door, he saw and realized what she'd been doing. "Babe. Why? Why are you walking without your crutches? It isn't good for your ankle or even your foot,"

"Why?," Jethro had said with a disappointed tone. "I-I-I. You won't understand," she says and stands up with the help of the table. She then continues this cycle. "Babe. This is hurting you," he says.

"Jethro, please. Leave me alone. I need to do this," she says. Jethro sighs and walks away. He knew that his wife wasn't going to open up to him so he told Ellie to go talk to her.

Ellie walked up there and saw her trying to walk without her crutches. "Jack, is there a reason you're doing this? Why are you hurting yourself? Does this have anything to do with the twins?," Ellie asks as Jack goes to put pressure on her foot again and falls. But this time, she doesn't get back up. Instead, she starts crying.

"I couldn't protect them. I was frozen. He could've taken the babies," Jack says. "But he didn't. Gibbs stopped him," Ellie says as she sits down next to Jack.