Chapter 26

That night, the twins woke up several times. So, Jack got up to take care of them. It was about three in the morning when Jethro heard Jack's scream. He jumped out of bed and ran to the twins's nursery. Once he got there, he saw a man with a knife in front of Jack.

"Give me the babies," the man said. "No!," she said. "Fine. We'll do this the hard way," he said. The man lunged at Jack and cut one of her arms and she fell.

Jethro pushed the man out of the way and made sure that Jack was behind him. Jethro managed to knock the man out and called the police. He walked over to Jack and took the babies from her. He set them in their cribs and got a towel from the bathroom that was across the hall. He pressed it to the cut on Jack's arm.

The cut was pretty big. "Hey, it's gonna be okay," Jethro says. "I couldn't protect my babies. What was the use of being in the army if I can't protect them when I need to? That man would have taken the babies if you weren't here," Jack says.

"Jack, you are the bravest and strongest person I know. You're gonna be fine. Your 'momma bear' will shine through when the babies need you the most," Jethro says. Just then, police flooded the scene. "Let's go get you checked out," Jethro says.

Jack didn't argue with him because she was too tired to do so. "Make sure my babies are okay," Jack tells the officer that's in the room with them. "We will ma'am. That's our job," he says. The couple walks to an ambulance and the medics check Jack out.

Jethro slips away and back inside to get the details on the man. Supposedly the man was the son of Jack's ex. The ex that raped her and the biological father of Faith. Jack probably hadn't known that he had had a son. That's why she didn't recognize him.