Act 1, Scene 18: Duchess Ernia Pt2

"It appears that sister of yours has stuck once again...Azraelle." A man from the shadows spoke. His outfit was dark brown with golden linings. The golden light glows from his eyes showing his authority. It was truly a sight to behold.

"Vita..." the god of life mutters, looking up at the sky. "What are you trying to do?"

↠━━━━ღ◆ღ━━━━↞

The door opens with a bang with Carsein proudly walking in.

"Mother, I bought your guest here!"

Sighing she replies, "Sein, inside voices please. We have guest."

Complaining as he walks over to a seat, "But mother, [Y/N] and I are now good friends! She'll be fine with my outside voice."

Duchess Ernia's eyes twitch at her sons indifference. "SEIN! Did you just call the Lady [Y/N] without her title!?" She ask shouting.

Carsein's eyes started darting around, hands waving as proof that he's afraid and startled. "Mo-mother since we became friends we decided to drop the title...there's no need to be- ACK!"

You gasp and wince at the sound of whacking Carsein's mom did to his head. It sounded pretty bad and you felt horrible since you did agree to drop the titles. "Duchess Ernia...you don't have to be so mad at Car- I mean Sir Carsein." You refrain from speaking his name lightly, afraid of the duchess's scolding. "I did agree to drop the titles after all."

The duchess sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose in hopelessness. "Lady [Y/N], since both parties has agree on dropping titles I shall refrain from speaking of this matter. However, keep in mind that the public does not know of this agreement and may rise future gossips." The duchess nags as you slowly tune it out looking away.

"I don't mind being in a gossip relationship with Carsein..." you thought to yourself, giving the lenny face to no one in except yourself. The image was right there vividly in your mind.

"Urghh...I don't get why you are soooo worried of this matter. It's just gossips they go away afterwards!" Carsein huff hands behind his head while having his weight shifted on one side.

You chuckle at Carseins disinterest in the gossips that may arise in the near future. "I partially agree with Carsein, Duchess Ernia."

Duchess Ernia shook her head in disappointment, sighing. "What am I suppose to do with you two...While it is true that the gossips may go away. Your reputation will have been slightly tarnish and will harm your future work. My first advice to you as future marchioness."

You stare at the duchess taking in her words. Acknowledging them. In an environment where your knowledge is lessen. Everything you learn now can be lead up to a good future, possibly with Carsein. At least you hope to be with Carsein.

"Doesn't the lady have a fiance or something? Such small matter shouldn't harm much." Carsein ask. Obviously, not inform well if you have a fiance or not.

The duchess frown hearing Carsein's words. "Did you not listen to your teachers?! The youngest lady of the Monique house does not have a fiance." She reprimanded forgetting your presence for a moment.

"You can totally be MY fiance Carsein." You thought." However as luck would have it, your mouth has a mind of it's own. "Pfft- it's alright Carsein. At least you know now that I don't have a fiance." You chuckle, internally slapping yourself.

Carsein was confuse, "You don't have a fiance? But I thought-"

"Alright enough, you can ask more later." Duchess Ernia interrupts. "Right now the young lady and I have a lesson to start."

You awkwardly stood in the room near the door. The sound of Carsein's footstep slowly getting fainter and fainter. "Sooo Duchess Ernia...what are you going to teach me today?"

The duchess slowly brush her fingers over the table checking for dust. She then glance at you from the corner of her eyes. But you swear you saw her stare ominously for a second.

"You know I really like you Lady [Y/N]. You remind me of my younger self." She says, scoffing. "The younger child of great families. But you, are slightly different." She states fully turning her head towards you.

You gulp, afraid of what she might say. Was she going to ask you to stay away from Carsein now? After seeing the closeness you both have achieved. "Wh- what do you mean?" You mutter out despite the fear creeping on your skin.

She smile gently, eyes filling with sadness. "We were born from different rankings. You can still choose your fiance, perhaps a man you will grow to love? But it's different for me. I married to help make connections for my brother. The current king. And your older sister holds that responsibility."

You couldn't say anything, all you could do was stare and listen. "Duchess Ernia...do you have a man you once love? I heard your betrothed was once my father was he the man you love before the Duke?" You ask curiously, not caring if it was rude.

"Your father? Oh of course not. That was arranged as well." She chuckle at your thinking. "The man I once love was similar to my husband." She started.

A man similar to the Duke? How so?" You ask, now intrigue in her love life.

"His personality was very similar to my husband. While be may be sarcastic at times, he is very serious with his work." She continues describing similar aspect of her past lover with the Duke as you listen closely.

However, as she continues younciul't help but notice her using the word 'was' which made you very curious. "Duchess Ernia, you kept using the word 'was' why is that?"

She look stun for a moment, before smiling helplessly. "I should have known you would notice. You are quite mature for your age after all."

You sweatdrop, the only reason you were mature is because you were mentally [age] years old. Although that seems to be decreasing as the days goes by. [I don't think I specify an age for the MC except that she's a teen. So feel free to put an age for a teen.]

"The reason...is because he changed. His true personality showed. Ever since that fateful day." The duchess says, anger in her voice.

"...What happened?"

Authors note:

Phewww that was a lot of creative juice squeezing out. Again apologising for rlly late updates. I've been too caught up with streaming. I sometimes forget to write the chapters.

Also I realise that I've been spelling the duchess's name wrong! I've been calling her Duchess Erina but it was actually Duchess Ernia. Gonna have to go back to previous chapters to change that.