Act 1, Scene 19: The story

Just some notes I thought I mention before the story starts.

Duchess Ernia's age was never mentioned so I'll be guessing these things here. If there is a cannon fact I missed in the story, just comment it no need to be rude about it.

When the story is being told, it is going to be in the Duchess's POV.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"The reason...is because he changed. His true personality showed. Ever since that fateful day." The duchess says, anger in her voice.

"...What happened?"

↠━━━━ღ◆ღ━━━━↞

The duchess sighs, looking away before taking a seat on one of the couches. "You might wanna take a seat for it's gonna be a long story..."

You quickly sit down, eyes sparkling with anticipation. Your hands clenching your skirt for the suspense was killing you. The duchess took a deep breath and looks at you with a glint of seriousness in her eyes.

And so she begins her story.

I was about 13 at the time, taking different types of lessons for different scenarios my future husband who my parents, the previous emperor and empress will choose in a year. They will be choosing the best husband obviously. One that will not only boost the imperial family's image but treat me with respect.

It was about the beginning of the new year, about mid-March. My brother, the current emperor wanted me to relax a little and decided to pull me into his monthly secret outings. "C'mon Ernia! Let's go out together don't you feel bored staying coop up here all day?" my brother ask(beg).

"Tsk, you ought to study more if you are the crown prince. You are getting lazier as the months go by. I feel sorry for your future wife." I mock him walking away. Of course not without flipping my blue hair that was tied in a ponytail at his face.

"Ackk! Pft- pleh- eww..." my brother whines in disgust. Waving and slapping his face to get the hair out of his mouth, feeling the itchiness that would brush through his face. He looks up in annoyance just to see me walking further away as he picks up the pace. "HEY. Why would you do that? It was disgusting, your hair I mean."

I stop in my tracks turning to look at him with a glare. "Urghh, what do you want?" I asked, annoyed with his disturbance. My brother look up at me in triumphant, "I knew you would give in. You're so serious all the time loosen up a little and go to town with me! You haven't been there in years right?"

With no words to disagree, I could only look at my brother weirdly, raising my eyebrows as I clutch my books closer to my chest. "I...I don't know about that. I got these books to read, mother would be mad if I didn't finish reading them before our next tea time."

My brother groan in irritation as he pulled my right hand of my books taking it in his. "Your next tea time with mother is next week right? You'll finish these before then, I just know it. Just this once, go out and unwind alright?"

Biting the innards of my cheeks I look down to my left hand which was still holding the books in contemplation. "If I go with you then you'll stop bothering me right?" Hearing this my brother's eyes light up with happiness clenching my right hand tighter. "Yes! I promise I won't bother you unless you want to go again."

"Ok, then when do we go?" I ask. My brother just snicker at me as my face slowly turn to one of annoyance. "If you're going to laugh then I'm not going anymore." I deadpan when my brother instantly stops and look at me doing the zipping mouth motion. "Before you go, you need to change," he adds right before turning his back to me.