1 ✔️

N I N A

Summer is almost ending and school starts on Monday.

Goodbye sleeping in, goodbye beaches and pool parties and hello homework and waking up before 9am.

This summer was the best one I've ever had. I said to myself with a smile as I got out of my Uber heading towards the bar.

It was my birthday today and I'm suppose to be meeting my friends here to celebrate. Finally eighteen! I was finally an adult able to do adults things. I don't know why, but now being eighteen gave me the confidence to do more things. Like go to a bar which I've never done before.

I'm wearing a tight black bodycon dress with matching heels and the air conditioning hits my bare legs right when I enter the bar. My dark black hair is out in its natural curls and down just near my shoulders and my makeup is basic but cute, wearing winged liner to give myself a cat eye look.

Looking around the bar, I don't see my friends so I pull out my phone to send out a quick text to my best friend.

Me: where are you guys?

Not even a minute later my phone bings with a message. I frown when I look at the text.

Mila: I'm soooo sorry Nina! Jax abd I pregamed wayyyys 2 hard! I love youuuuuu don't hxte me :(

She's fucking drunk with her boyfriend. Un-fucking-believable.

I don't bother texting her back. I put my phone back in my bag and start heading over to the bar. I'm still too young to order alcohol but maybe I can sweet talk the bartender, considering I was gonna rely on Jax getting us booze since he has a fake ID.

I plop my ass in an empty seat and wave over the bartender.

"What can I get for you, gorgeous?" The bartender asks. He's pretty cute with blonde hair and big brown eyes. He has a trimmed beard and a freckle under his left eye. I send him a smile and sit straighter in my seat.

"Can I get a scotch? Neat please." I ask placing my bag on the counter.

"Can I see some ID?"

For fucks sake.

"Oh come on please? It's my birthday and I was suppose to celebrate with my friends but they're already drunk off their asses and now I'm stuck here alone and could really use a drink." I look up at him with pleading eyes. He stares at me for a moment. There's a hint of sympathy and amusement in his eyes but the words he says next makes me want to punch him square in the face.

"I'm sorry, but if I don't see some ID then I can't sell you a drink." And with that, he walks away to help another customer.

"Fucking prick." I mumble under my breath and place my face in my hands, leaning against the counter on my elbows.

I hear the man next to me calls out to the bartender. His voice is deep and authoritative. I don't know why but I feel like by his voice that he's tall. Don't ask me why I think it because I know everyone agrees with me that you can tell someone is tall by the sound of their voice.

"What can I get you, man?" Mr. asshat says.

"Can I get a scotch, neat." The man next to me replies with the sound of bills being tossed on the counter. I shoot up from hands and turn to face the man next to me.

He smirks into his glass of definitely not scotch and the glare on my face hardens.

I roll my eyes, huffing loudly so he knows I'm pissed and grab my bag ready to leave. The bartender returns with his drink and just when I turn in seat and about to jump off the stool, my asshat of a counter neighbor grabs my knee, turns me back around and slides the drink to me.