10✔️

N I N A

I got up early today deciding to wash my hair and defuse it, leaving it in its natural state of short tight curls ending just below my shoulders. My outfit for today is something simple, being a white spaghetti summer dress that stops mid thigh with the neck line dipping low enough to show some cleavage.

After I finished getting ready, I walk over to my mothers room to check in on her.

"Mom?" I knock on her door lightly.

I don't hear her but I open the door anyway just to make sure that she's out of bed. Opening the door, I see her laying in bed on her side and just staring at the blank wall.

"Mom, it's almost 9am." I tell her gently as I walk up to her and help her get up from bed.

She doesn't say anything as I walk her over to her en-suite bathroom and undress her so she can shower.

"I don't need any help, Gianina." My mother tries to push me away but I keep my grip on her arm firm but gentle.

"I know, but I want to help." I say. She huffs out a breath but allows me to undress her and help her in the shower.

"I'm going out for a few hours, will you be okay?" I ask as I turn the knob in the shower for her.

She doesn't say anything to me as she gets into the shower. I sigh and close the curtain for her as I walk out of the bathroom. When I get to the door, I turn towards the shower and quietly say, "I love you." before leaving to head out.

I get in my car and just sit there for a few minutes. My mother has been like this for as long as I can remember. But lately, it's been bad. So bad to the point where I would come home to her passed out on the floor with an empty bottle of wine next to her.

I've shedded so many tears because of her. I was nine when I first saw her like that. Now I'm just use to it.

Without even realizing it, tears are falling down my cheeks and I have to quickly wipe them away but they just keep on falling.

"Fuck." I hiccup when a sob gets lodged in my throat. At this point, I just let the tears fall.

~~~

Walking into the diner ten minutes before noon, I already see Vincent sitting at a booth at the far end of the restaurant. I spent the long car ride trying to calm down my emotions and breathing and just focus on what Vincent has to tell me.

As I'm about to walk over to him, the hostess stops me.

"Can I help you, ma'am?"

I look towards the hostess who's giving me a genuine a smile to which I return.

"No, thank you. I'm actually here to meet him." And I point to Vincent.

The woman follows my finger and the smile immediately falls from her face.

"Oh," she looks back at me with now a fake smile. "Please follow me then."

She starts walking over to where Vincent is sitting and I follow her. I have no idea why she has to lead me to the booth when I could easily just walk over on my own.