7✔️

N I N A

The first week of school went by faster than I realized. Dance auditions were great. Jared and I crushed our duet and had everyone clapping for us, including the teacher. Vin-Mr. Clarke and I haven't spoken to each other since the day he found me dancing provocatively after school. I was always fired up after dancing and catching him watch me didn't help the pulse between my legs to settle. I tried not to look at him during class but every time I would look up, he's already looking at me.

I know it's bad to even think about it, but I want to be in his bed again. He's much older and clearly very experienced when it comes to the female body. The only other boy I had sex with was my sophomore boyfriend who couldn't even make me come. I never objected though because I did love him very much, but he never satisfied me when it came to sex. It was always so mediocre and bland. Nothing like how it was with Vincent.

I can still feel the ache between my legs from the time he took me to his place. How his mouth, hands, and cock felt. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

My shift at Moses—the midnight diner that I work at—is almost up and I should be getting home at around three in the morning. I only work here three days out of the week due to school and I usually get off work at 11:00pm on weekdays, but since it's Friday I'll be getting off later.

"Nina."

I look up to see Ms. Camille waving over to me. I leave the counter I was leaning on and go to walk up to her. She gives me a warm smile, which I return and hugs me motherly. Ms. Camille is a fifty year old widower who has opened up this diner with her late husband. She has been like a mother to me since I've started working here. I would sometimes go over to her house and have dinner with her whenever my own mother was stuck at the office.

"Do you need me to do anything, Ms. Camille?" I ask, flatting out the apron that I'm wearing. She waves me off and shakes her head no.

"No need dear. It seems that tonight isn't so busy, so if you'd like to go home then you can." She smiles.

"That's so kind of you." I look around to see that it is pretty empty here besides the few people who come here every night either drunk or to get away from everything. "Are you sure you don't need me to stay?"

"Of course not. You've been here since 8:00pm. I'll take it from here, dear."

I give her another look saying 'are you sure?' but she starts shooing me off causing me to laugh. I walk towards the back of the diner where my locker is and take off my apron and place it in there. Taking out my bag and phone, I close my locker and leave the diner, waving goodbye to Ms. Camille.

The drive home is only about a twenty minute drive and when I pull into the driveway, I see my mothers car. Getting out, I lock my car and walk into the dark house.

"Mom?" I yell out. All the lights are off expect for the lamp near the single chair in the corner of the living room. Walking over, I see my mother drinking some wine and looking out the window.

"Hey mom." I smile and sit down across from her.

My mother has to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. A beautiful mixture of Trinidadian and Dutch, she has bright hazel eyes, light brown skin, and short curly hair that glows whenever under the sunlight. She's short compared to me, but I always just assumed that I got my height from my father. The only thing I know about my father was that he is Jamaican and the head of a huge marketing company here in California. She never told me his name, so I was never able to look him up.

"Mom?" I ask again, when she doesn't turn my way. I reach my hand out to touch her shoulder and she flinches like she didn't even realize that I was here.

"Nina." That's all she says to me. She didn't smile, didn't ask me how work or school was. My mother never shows interests in my life, but I know that she is a very busy woman so I never let it bring me down.

I smile at her and take the now empty wineglass from her hand and help lift her up.

"Come on, mom. Let's get you to bed."

She doesn't protest when I pull her up from the chair and lead her up the stairs and towards her bedroom. Every night when she does come home, I find her either drinking or smoking. I don't know how she makes it out there being a top notch lawyer when she's always so discombobulated when I find her. She's a strong woman, I know it. She just has a hard time dealing with things sometimes.

"I don't need your help." She tries to shove me off but I ignore her and pull the covers back so she can get in.

"I know you don't mom, but just let me help you." Sliding the covers over her small frame, I kiss the top of her head and leave her room to go to mine.

Tomorrow is a big day for me. I've been apart of an exclusive dance team that preforms at fancy clubs all around California. And now that I'm eighteen, I'm officially able to preform instead of just sit back and watch the other performers on the team dance. The dance team is called the Vixens&Devils. We wear masks when preforming to hide our identities and get big pay checks from the clubs who asks for us to perform for their guests. Think of exotic dancers and street performers. Vixens&Devils is a mixture of both.

When I was sixteen, Margret—the dance teams leader—saw me dancing with a group of street performers that I stumbled upon and said that I have moves that can make any man fall to their knees. She gave me her card and asked if I was interested in trying out for her dance team. And now two years later, I'm finally able to officially become one of them.

My thoughts are cut off when I start hearing my mother screaming. Sighing, I get out of bed and walk over to her room. Mom has been having nightmares for as long as I can remember and they're always about the same thing, my dad. She once told me that my father was the love of her life but when he found out that she was pregnant with me, he left. She was twenty years old and broke with no help from her parents. Sometimes I feel like she blames me for him leaving her. I don't object and just let her say what she needs to say in order for her to go back to sleep.

"Mom." I whisper when I open the door to her bedroom.

She's shuffling around her bed with her eyes still closed and from where I am at the door, I can see tears running down her face. I walk over and run my hands through her hair to soothe her but it's not doing anything to ease her cries.

"Mom, please wake up." My voice cracks when I see more tears forming. I try to gently shake her awake but she still won't wake up her. Being less gentle this time, I grab both of her shoulders and start shaking her until she eventually wakes up.

Waking up with a startle, she starts looking around until her eyes land on me. Her brows furrow and her jaw clenches at the sight of me. A shot of pain hits me right in the chest by the way she's looking at me.

"You were screaming again." I tell her softly. Lifting my hand to stroke the side of her head, she leans away from my touch and goes back to laying down.

"It's late, Nina. Go to sleep."

I say a small 'okay' before leaving her room to go back to mine.

Plopping down on my bed, I look out into the dark room and take in a deep breath.

"It's going to be okay. She's strong and so am I." Is the last thing I say before getting up and walking towards my bathroom to get ready for bed.

*****