18. roses are red

the smell of flower petals and vanilla filled nini's nostrils as she entered the tent at her turn, hearing calm music play on low volume and noticing a woman with long blonde hair and a red bandana on, seated at a table.

"welcome." she said in an airy voice

nini opened her mouth and raised her eyebrows "um...hi..."

"come, sit."

nini did as she was asked, making her way to the table and sitting down opposite the woman and setting her bag down beside her on her chair

"i know why you're here."

"okay...?"

"sofiana is my name." she continued "what is yours?"

nini furrowed her brows "shouldn't you...like—know?"

sofiana chuckled, the smile still playing on her lips as she sighed "you are an independent one. aren't you?"

before nini could reply, sofiana held her hands out for her to take. nini placed her hands, palms facing upwards as she waited in confusion, looking around her curiously while sofiana kept her eyes closed

"i sense anger."

nini looked at her "anger?"

sofiana nodded "anger. and pain."

nini let out a nervous laugh "pain...for what?"

"loss. a loss of love."

nini shifted in her seat and shook her head "um...i've never—i've never been in love."

sofiana opened her eyes slowly and smirked "well, it takes a lot of strength and courage to admit it. but fear can be overpowering."

"what would i be afraid of?" nini questioned

sofiana looked down and didn't answer, holding nini's right hand before taking a packet of cards and opening them up to place on the table.

"look down at the pile. i'd like you to choose in your head the ones you would want to turn over."

nini kept her gaze on the woman before hesitantly glancing down at the cards, picking them in her mind. 3, 5, 8.

"done?"

nini nodded.

sofiana smiled softly as she turned over card number three...card number five...then card number eight.

nini widened her eyes and looked up "h-how did you—?"

sofiana simply continued to smile with a nod pointed at the first card she'd turn over.

"sensibility."

she pointed to the next one

"connection."

and the next one.

"acceptance."

nini bit the inside of her cheek and kept her gaze down as she listened to what sofiana was going to say.

"the first one; sensibility. ability to appreciate and respond to complex emotional influences." sofiana said "i sense loneliness in you nini. learning to open up to the one who understands the most is what's meant for you on the journey to the truth."

nini let out a light breath "i—i don't feel lonely though...i'm always with someone."

"connection." sofiana continued after nodding thoughtfully "you're always with someone. but who really sees you?"

"what's that supposed to mean?" nini asked sincerely

"there will always be people around you. but there will only be one person who knows you."

nini blinked a few times. what the hell does that mean?

"connection." sofiana continued, pointing to the card with a rose on it with a light knowing grin

"why a rose?" nini asked, noticing how she kept pointing to the flower

"rose symbolizes love and passion. but in these cards they also show a sign of support and safety. for that one which carries the rose is the one destined to be yours. a perfect connection."

nini swallowed and nodded "um...o-okay..."

she hurriedly took out her wallet, but the woman put her hand up.

"it's okay." she said kindly "free of charge."

"really? are you sure?" nini asked cautiously

sofiana nodded "certainly dear."

"thank you..." she replied with a small smile, standing up.

she quickly rushed up out of the tent, her heart racing as she just exhaled deeply.

as soon as she left the tent and was waved with fresh air, she bumped into the brown-haired boy who had been waiting for her.

"oh-sorry..." she mumbled before getting a good look at her boyfriend and sighing "god, leo what?"

"what did i do?" he asked defensively

nini scoffed and shook her head "wow."

she took a step to continue walking before leo put himself in front of her

"neens—"

"i'm really not in the mood tonight leo, i just want to go home." she snapped

"look, i'm sorry i hurt your feelings about the future-telling stuff." he exhaled

"it's not—" nini took a deep breath to compose herself and shook her head "it's not just that."

"then what?" he asked confused, his eyes searching her face.

"i'm just tired. plus my mom gets home soon. i wanna be there. i'll see you tomorrow at dance."

leo nodded slowly "okay...see you."

he leaned forward to kiss her on the cheek and she hesitantly accepted it before adjusting her bag and leaving the fair with her mind more muddled than ever.