42. hopes & dreams

+

+

"maybe they're busy." big red suggested as they were all sprawled around nina's room.

the girl was laying against her headboard with ricky's arm around her, howie was seated with ashlyn and kourtney at the bay window (who'd shown up after having hung out with ricky today) and carlos, seb and big red were sitting on the carpet in front of nini's bed.

"yeah, julliard's pretty busy." howie nodded in agreement "they have loads of applicants all the time so the chances of them replying quickly are pretty slim..."

"or replying even at all." nini muttered as she continuously fiddled with her fingers

ricky looked at her and took her hand in his, squeezing it comfortingly "they'll reply."

the white bedroom door burst open, causing for everyone to jump up at the sight of ej and gina, looking as though they'd been running.

ej bent over to catch his breath meanwhile gina just kept upright

"are we too late?" gina questioned

"i — am never — running — again." ej panted exaggeratedly as he collapsed onto the ground

"why were you guys running?" carlos asked with an amused smirk

"well we met up while both on the way and we were both in a hurry. it's not a big deal." gina shrugged, shooting a glare at howie, seb and carlos who had all smirked knowingly

"so, did you get an email from them yet?" gina asked suddenly

nini put on a tight-knit smile and shook her head silently before exhaling deeply

"did you check your phone-"

"what's the point?" nini exclaimed exasperatedly

"you'll get an email neens," seb said reassuringly

"yeah, and the first words there will be 'congratulations.'" ashlyn grinned

"babe that's one word," kourtney chuckled

lily know what i mean," ashlyn said with a playful eye-roll.

nini took another deep breath and shook her head "whatever, it's fine. i think i'm just tired." she said in a small voice "you should all go. most of you have dance and you can't miss it. i'll be okay."

everyone exchanged looks before getting up without a word but they gave her sympathetic looks and waves and left her room, also saying goodbye to dana when passing her.

nini looked at ricky who stayed put on the bed "you have to go to."

but the boy looked at her and shrugged "nope."

"ricky-"

"i'm not going anywhere until you get the email." ricky told her firmly, folding his arms

nini shook her head "you have to go to dance-"

"i'm staying." ricky repeated "stop being so stubborn."

"i'm not being stubborn, i'm being realistic! there hasn't been an email or reply in weeks! graduation is just around the corner. if they were planning on accepting me after a gap year, i would have received the notification like now!"

suddenly as though her phone had heard her, the sound of nini's notification went off from her desk and the couple both jolted their heads in its direction.

"how did you do that?" ricky asked

nini shook her head "it's probably just ash-"

ricky stood up, making his way to her desk to take her phone and as he stared at the lock screen, he opened his mouth and looked at her

"neens,"