35. fragility

nini blinked again. she tried to comprehend what leo had just said but...couldn't.

"w-what-" she forced out "i-i don't...i don't understand?"

leo took a deep breath and clenched his jaw "last year, i knew i needed...i needed the lead for the showcase in order to get seen for auditions to schools this year. and i also...i really liked you. but-you were always dancing with ricky and he was the best-"

"so you broke his ankle?!" nini exclaimed in disbelief

"i didn't technically break it-"

"oh i'm terribly sorry for misunderstanding the technicality!"

leo exhaled again "do you want the full story? or not?"

nini folded her arms angrily, staying quiet to let him speak but she was furious. she had no idea what had gone into leo's mind. what was he thinking? this wasn't the same guy she had gained feelings for last summer.

"i...me and ricky were practicing and i could see how good he was getting. and-it doesn't justify it- but i was jealous and stupid. and i was clouded with the frustration and pressure i had to make sure i got scouted." leo begun "and i also knew how much he liked you...and i saw how close you two were which also added more jealousy to the mix. so, that one night, after a late rehearsal, me and him got into an argument about the leads. and then...i was so angry that i made him trip over something and he fell to the ground. but he couldn't stand back up on his two feet without limping."

"you didn't even help him." nini scoffed in shock. her voice was small and fragile "y-you...you just left him there? after what you did-"

"i made a mistake-"

"you don't even regret it do you?!" she questioned

"i'm not proud of what i did-"

"that's not an answer." nini shook her head "i expected this from lily. but never from you. how could-"

"nini, i'm sorry-"

"no you're not." nini interrupted him "you're not sorry."

the silence engulfed the room and nini just exhaled deeply, still trying to comprehend what was happening before she heard the frantic shuffling begin once more, taking that as a sign that the second act was going to start soon and she needed to get ready.

"we have to go get ready for the next act." she said bitterly, forcing herself to walk towards the door and leo bit his teeth together, turning around

"you're going to dance?" he asked. a hint of worry in his voice

nini stopped and turned back to face him, fire of determination and anger in her eyes "yeah. and neither you nor ricky or anyone else is going to stop me."

she left the room without another word, going to get dressed and ready for the next performance which was the balcony scene where ricky and her have another duet.

nini arrived backstage near the wings to see ricky warming up and she took a deep breath

"i didn't know."

he turned around to look at her, his eyes held an expression that showed that he knew what she was talking about.

"i didn't really advertise it."

"you could've told me." nini said shakily "you should've told me."

"we weren't in the best place when it happened, were we?" he questioned her, avoiding her gaze as he fiddled with his fingers

nini swallowed, her mind flashing back to that day last year and then just a few hours ago in the equipment room.

"that moment..." she began, causing for him to lift his head up again "what happened in that room...i-i um..."

she opened her mouth and closed it a few times, not knowing how to have this conversation. what could she say that didn't seem too forward and how could she say it without making a complete fool of herself?

"it's cool." he rushed out before nini could even think of continuing "no worries...you were probably just...in a weird...place??"

nini felt her heart sink as she stared at him blankly, her lips parted

"it's cool." he repeated. though it sounded like he was convincing himself of it too "we're cool. right?"

nini blinked and regained herself, letting out a nervous laugh as she nodded "yeah! uhh...totally...totally cool."

"okay." he nodded slowly before taking a deep breath "let's go get ready..."

"yeah." she nodded, blinking repeatedly to stop her eyes from stinging with tears.

she didn't know why something so little as this made her feel this immense pain. her heart had dropped to the pit of her chest, her stomach flipped the wrong way and mind was battling with her tears that were threatening to slip through. all because of something as little as ricky not feeling the same way as her.

as the curtains rose as they took their positions, nini standing on the balcony as she waited for her cue when the music would start.

when it did, nini twirled around on the spot as ricky danced on the stage, looking up at her and she returned his smile, though he could tell something was off with the way she danced.

nini inhaled sharply as she leaned against the balcony and continued dancing before leaping up, but when her legs hit the platform once again, she heard a pop, causing for her to scream in pain and lose balance, falling on the stairway and towards the stage as the crowd gasped in worry.