21. safe with you

the studio was filled with people shuffling around to get ready. warming up to prepare for their auditions for the roles they wanted in the showcase.

nini stood in the corner, waiting for leo to arrive but he was late.

she fiddled with her fingers nervously as she stood at the bar, moving her right foot around uneasily. that was the least of her worries though. she'd just ice it when she went home. but her dance was next and her partner still wasn't here yet.

"still no show?"

nini looked beside her, seeing carlos and gina there and she shook her head

"no." she sighed "he's late and he knows how important this is."

"maybe he's just caught up in something..." gina assured

nini sighed, soon everyone falling silent when the dance teacher walked in.

"alright," miss brown said as she half-smiled, taking her clipboard out "the orders will go as follows. solos then duets. this list shows the names of the people who will perform in order. the final decisions will be put out tomorrow afternoon."

miss brown took the paper and placed it on the bulletin board that was on the wall near the entrance, everyone soon rushing towards it to see their order

"neens, you and leo are up last." big red informed her as they arrived at the board to read the names

"that's good. it'll give him time to get here." howie assured the girl

nini nodded slowly, exhaling as she sensed ricky appear beside her

"oh, look at that i'm first." he said in fake enthusiasm

nini managed a weak smile and shook her head lightly as she stuck her hand out "good luck."

ricky glanced down at her hand and raised his eyebrows before chuckling and slowly taking ahold of her hand to shake it.

nini kept her eyes on him before looking down at their joined hands, feeling a sense of warmth and safety surround her.

"ricky, we need to finish up warming up. now."

the two teens quickly pulled their hands away at the sound of lily's voice. nini avoided ricky's gaze and he looked away from the petite brunette, his eyes now on the blonde girl.

"uh...sure." he replied, giving one quick glance at nini before following lily out to the middle of the studio.

"what was that?" big red asked, wiggling his eyebrows knowingly

nini raised her eyebrows "okay. never do that again. and...nothing..."

"you hesitated." howie sang with a grin

"n-no. i-i didn't."

"yes you did. and you did just now." carlos replied

"i'm not hesitating!!"

"well now you're not but-"

"i'm going to go warm up while i wait for leo - my boyfriend - to arrive." nini said simply. and with one more warning look to her friends, she made her way towards the corner of the studio and sat down, crossing her legs and leaning forward to rest her elbows on the floor, holding her head and watching the door.

the next hour and a half, every performance passed one after the other. dance after dance. and leo still hadn't showed up.

nini sighed and felt her stomach turn as she stayed seated, now bouncing her leg up and down in anxiousness. she couldn't not get this part. this year was the most important year for her to get it and leo knew that. he couldn't not be here. it should be just as important to him as it is to her.

"alright, last but definitely not least, leo and nini."

nini whipped her head up and gulped. she slowly stood up and opened her mouth "u-um...l-leo's not here yet..."

"nini, you know better. if leo isn't here or you don't have a partner then you can't audition and you have to forfeit." miss brown reminded the girl

"i-i know! b-but...it's just-"

"if you don't have anyone to dance with, i can't let you audition."

"i'll dance with her."

the entire studio turned to the curly-haired boy who hesitantly stepped forward, his hand scratching the back of his neck sheepishly

nini gaped at him in surprise. her friends all with knowing smirks as they exchanged looks beside her while lily had a burning anger expressed.

"you can't do that??" lily said in frustration "you're my duet partner. not hers."

"i'll allow it." miss brown hummed

"but-"

"miss rose. i said i'll allow it." miss brown repeated firmly with a look.

lily fell silent, folding her arms and leaning back against the wall while ricky and nini exchanged looks.

"so...we just dance...now?" nini asked confused

"yes." miss brown "i am assuming you know a dance together."

"yeah." ricky nodded before nini could speak up

he slowly took his phone out to prepare music, soon coming back to nini who was still stood in the corner, now panicking

"which dance??? we haven't practiced! you don't know-"

"tenth grade. sectionals duet. finals." ricky whispered

nini's jaw dropped "that has an overhead lift that took us weeks-"

"look, nini, you're pretty british boyfriend isn't here. you're down a partner. so this is all you've got." ricky rushed out "you're running out of time. do you remember the dance?"

nini closed her mouth and nodded slowly, looking down

ricky took a deep breath and took a little step closer to her, lowering his voice "do you trust me?" he whispered

she glanced up at him, her eyes meeting his as she felt a spark rush through her and she nodded again in silence

"okay. then let's do this." ricky said, a small, motivational smile breaking out for her to feel ensured.