26. dancer's heart

ricky quickly rushed towards the brunette who had now left the studio front doors, and was sitting on the sidewalk, her knees up to her chest as she fiddled with a rock in her hands.

he looked around him to find the streets empty, slowly walking closer to her and sitting down.

nini kept her head to the right - opposite from where ricky was - and she wiped her face, inhaling deeply "i'm fine."

"okay." ricky nodded, keeping his eyes on her

"and i don't need any sort of comfort from anyone." she added

"no, you don't." he agreed with a nod.

"and if you're going to say that i shouldn't listen to her or let her get to me and that i should focus on myself-"

"wasn't going to."

nini suddenly whipped her head around to face him. confusion was written on her face "then why are you here...?"

ricky let out an amused chuckle, shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders "just thought you might need company."

nini exhaled deeply and stared back out in front of her before closing her eyes and resting her chin on her arms "everything she said..."

"is a load of bullshit."

"can it be called that if it's technically true?" nini asked him, keeping her gaze away "the way she put it."

ricky sighed "she didn't have a right to say any of it like that-"

"you know she's right though. whether she had a right to say it or not." nini mumbled, looking down "and i'm sorry. i-"

"nini-"

"you know she's right." she whispered defeatedly

"she isn't right." ricky exclaimed softly, turning his body slightly to face her properly "of course she's not right. you're...everything but what she said."

nini let out a dry laugh, shaking her head as she looked back down at her knees

"i'm serious." ricky continued "you're kind. and caring. and you have a drive in you that no one else can have. you're always determined to do what's best for whoever's concerned and it's one of the reasons i..."

she glanced up at him and he suddenly realized what he was letting himself say, shutting up as soon as he did.

"...um."

"w...what?" she asked quietly

"i-"

before he could finish, the sound of the door behind them opening made them look back, seeing leo there with his eyes looking between ricky and nini in suspicion.

"sorry to interrupt." he said bitterly "but miss brown told me to come get you both so that we could all focus on actually making a start on the showcase."

nini quickly stood up, ricky following her movement as leo gave him one more glare before disappearing behind the door.

"um...so," ricky muttered, clearing his throat "let's do this. we go in there, and we get started on the best duet we'll ever choreograph in history."

nini managed a small smile before nodding "let's do it bowen."

+

time passing through photos: