40. losing hope

saturday & sunday:

+

+

"behavior genetics is the perspective of psychological science that deals with how much our genes and our environment influence our individual differences. psychodynamic is the perspective of psychological science that deals with how behavior springs from unconscious drives and conflicts-"

"dear lord," gina groaned as she leaned back against the locker and massaged her temples with her both hands, closing her eyes to try and calm herself

"nini, you're ready for your exam. will you please stop recalling the definitions of 'naturalistic observation'?" big red sighed

"naturalistic observation! observing and recording behavior in-"

"NOPE! that's it! i'm leaving." howie exclaimed, carlos and seb chuckling as they followed the boy to their first class after waving their friends goodbye while nini, big red and gina stayed at the brunette's locker.

"you need to learn to be zen. chill. cool. relaxo." gina said calmly as nini continued to mutter all the definitions she could remember in her head.

"i'll be relaxo once i'm sure of a plan." nini said as she leaned against the wall of lockers on one foot, holding her crutches in her hands and trying to adjust her bag on her shoulder "and right now, school's apparently all i have left! so, if that fails. i'm pretty much doomed."

"you, nina salazar-roberts are the most dramatic person i've ever met in my entire life." big red grinned

"i can agree with that."

"hey ricky," gina sung with a smirk, causing for the girl to turn around and suddenly relax at the sight of the curly-haired boy in front of her

"hey," he greeted, glancing at gina before back to nini "you okay?"

"yup! i'm great!" nini exclaimed forcefully, causing for ricky to raise an eyebrow and she groaned "i'm a total wreck! i'm going to fail this-"

"you literally get straight a's. calm down woman!" big red groaned

"uh...can i have your brain?" ej asked with a sheepish smile as he stood behind ricky

"you'll be fine." ricky said with a reassuring smile as he intertwined her fingers with his "you know the material like the back of your hand. it'll all work out, okay?"

nini took a deep breath and nodded, losing herself in his gaze as she felt her heart rate arrive at a steady beat. "okay..."

"hours." gina whispered to big red "hours of us telling her the exact same thing but when he says it within a few seconds and she's as calm as a sunny day sky."

"okay, we'll just be going off to english now." big red said, taking gina and ej by the arm and dragging them down the hall

"wha-but-but i have biology now!!" ej exclaimed, gesturing to the other way in which he should've been heading, but big red continued to drag him and the curly-haired girl away from the couple.

ricky chuckled at his friend in amusement before noticing nini struggling to hold her stuff

"here," he smiled, taking her bag to carry and she opened her mouth

"oh-no, it's okay ricky-"

but she fell silent at his look that told her to stop protesting to which she just sighed in defeat and he walked beside her at her pace since she was still with crutches.

"so...are you coming to dance today?" he asked hesitantly

nini looked down and swallowed "um...i don't...i don't know. probably not."

"why?" he frowned

"i've got...work."

"doesn't your shift at the diner start at like six?"

"i meant...school work."

"this is your last exam and we're basically doing nothing in classes seeing as its senior year."

nini huffed "you're frustrating."

ricky only grinned momentarily before noticing her solemn face "hey..." he called softly "why don't you want to go to dance?"

"it just...it keeps reminding me of everything i lost. everything that i worked so hard for and just let slip away."

ricky sighed and his frown deepened at the sound of her words "you know you can still do things dance related. and you could take like...a gap year and then get back to dance once your better. julliard accepts those sorts of things-"

"their acceptance rate is five percent!" nini reminded him "why would they choose someone who's had to put dance on hold to heal an injury rather than go for someone who deserves it much more? what would i have to offer anymore?"

"you have so much to offer neens."

nini shook her head "i can't think about that right now. i have an exam soon. can you test me?"

ricky took a deep breath and slowly nodded, taking out her flash cards and proceeding to test her. he knew that she needed to focus on her studies but he also knew she couldn't give up on dance. he had to do something.