32. trust me

"nini, what is this?" ricky questioned her

the brunette girl looked down at where he was staring and quickly moved her sweatpants to cover it once more, standing up "i-it's nothing."

"nothing?" he scoffed at that, following her out from their space and into the middle of the room "i knew something was up with you. i knew there was a reason you wouldn't do the moves properly-"

"ricky-"

"what are you thinking?!"

"i'm thinking about my future!" nini exclaimed angrily "you don't understand-"

"i don't understand??" ricky asked in disbelief "nini, i was literally in your position last year! i know-"

"no, ricky. you don't." she interrupted him "you didn't get hurt right before one of the biggest shows you'll ever have to perform in your life. you don't have the weight of your parents' financial and dependable problems on your shoulders and you aren't nothing without this."

he watched as her eyes glimmered with tears, clenching his fists and tightening his jaw as she kept going

"dance is all i have." she said helplessly, blinking back her tears that were threatening to fall "it's all i'm ever going to have! i didn't do all of this - the morning practices, the muscle pain, the non-stop working just so that i could throw it all away because my ankle is bothering me a little bit."

ricky shook his head "you aren't nothing without dance-"

"yes i am-"

"no you're not nini!" he exclaimed "god-don't you see what i see? a girl who's kind and helpful to everyone around her. a girl who's beautiful and yet won't let others think less of themselves. a girl who's determined and driven — but that's exactly what's going to get you hurt!"

nini felt the tears surfacing in her eyes as he kept shouting.

"i've been in your position! i've gotten injured myself, if you go out there and dance then you'll get seriously hurt-"

"i can't not dance ricky." she glared at him furiously "that isn't an option."

"i'm not letting you get on that stage-"

"you're not allowed to let me do anything. you're in no position." she snapped

ricky's jaw tightened "yeah, you've made that clear before." he told her coldly

the air in the room intensified as they both fell silent, not daring to even breathe loud enough to break it until the sound of the door opening behind them decided to instead.

"there you guys are!" big red sighed in relief "miss brown's going crazy. everyone's looking for you two."

"coming," nini said calmly, turning on her heel and walking past her best friend who gave her a confused look. he could tell something was up.

"nini, wait," ricky sighed as he rushed after her, but she sped up meaning he had to run "nini!"

"what?!" she huffed, folding her arms and turning around to face him

"you can't dance-"

"yes i can!"

"no-"

"i can do any move ricky, see?! i'm fine!" she exclaimed in a harsh whisper, demonstrating her jumping on her feet to indicate how strong her foot was.

but ricky was still hesitant. he didn't know how to dance with her knowing at any point she could get hurt.

"nini-"

"i promise i'm okay." she pleaded, taking a step towards him "you just have to trust me on this. i know my body, i know what it can handle."

ricky tightened his jaw and within a few seconds of tense silence, he gave in with a curt nod, causing for the girl to sigh in relief

"but i swear to god nini, if you feel even a little bit of pain and you keep dancing i-"

"i know. i'll stop." she lied

ricky nodded again, exhaling slowly as they both stood near the dressing rooms in silence. they had both suddenly remembered what had happened in the equipment room...or rather what had not happened...

"ricky...i-"

"THERE YOU TWO ARE!" carlos' loud voice boomed, causing for the both of them to jump in fright

"do you realize that you're supposed to be on stage in twenty minutes and you're still not ready?!" gina said worriedly

ricky and nini both didn't say anything as they felt the two drag them by the arms towards the dressing rooms to get ready, they'd both exchanged looks.

and neither one understood what the other had meant by it.