scoot over

i kept tossing and turning the whole night . i couldn't sleep . i flicked on the lamp on the nightstand and looked at the alarm clock , it was eleven pm and i had been tossing and turning for two hours . i stood up and went to grab a novel from the book shelf when i heard screaming .

i quickly dropped the book , grabbed a vase and sprinted out . the screams were coming from evellyn's bedroom . i heard soft voices and burst through the door . his head was positioned on his mother's lap and he was covered in sweat and he looked frightened and annoyed . the look on his mother's face told me that this happened quite often .

he looked at the doorway and at the vase and i quickly put it on the floor gaining his mother's attention .
" oh sweety he woke you up ? " she asked gently .
" actually , I've been awake the whole time , i have insomnia so believe me , he didn't . " i said looking at my feet .
" you guys can go I'm okay now . " he said and turned the other side .

his mom stood up and walked out giving me a small smile before disappearing in the dark .
" you're still there aren't you ?  " he asked and let out a sigh and turned to look at me .
my feet were planted on the ground , refusing to move . everything in me was screaming for me to get out and walk away but i couldn't , he looked scared , he needed me to stay .

oh so now you know what's best for him ? my subconscious mocked . at this rate i figured him and i were going to be seeing a lot of each other , we're basically friends and there's no turning point do it's useless avoiding it , avoiding him .

my feet carried me to his bed .
" scoot over  , you're occupying the whole bed . " i said and he laughed and moved to the left side of the bed and i climbed in . it was pretty warm . i adjusted the pillow to my liking and faced him .

" this pillow had better not have any drool on it . " i whispered and he just chuckled in response . we were quiet for a while but i knew he was not sleeping the same way that he knew that i wasn't , it was just obvious somehow , the breathing patterns gave it away the most .

" i get nightmares too sometimes , most times with sleep paralysis involved , the only times i get spared are when my insomnia takes over " i whisper not daring to look at him .

after a long pause i figured he wasn't going to say anything and as i closed my eyes he finally spoke .
" i was kinda scared that you were going to think I'm a freak who's a mama's boy  " he said and i was sure he was smiling .

" i mean i do think you are a freak and a mama's boy but getting nightmares has nothing to do with any of my conclusions . " i say feeling a little drousy .

" you're full of jokes , i can't believe it .  " he says ,
" that's what happens when you piss me off , so you don't get to see the funny side of me .  " i say laughing .
" I'll make sure i don't stand in your way so i can laugh a lot around you . " he says as he pulls up the blanket .

" if you keep pulling the blanket I'll smack your forehead , don't try me kid .  " i say in a fake stern voice .
" spare me the bull " he says laughing and i tutn to face him and smack his forehead .

he turns on the lamp and stared at me in shock then bursts out laughing .
*i don't bluff . " i say as i yawn . i feel sleep creeping in on me and succumb to it before evellyn clears his throat preparing to speak .

" say one more word and I'm cutting your tongue out .  " i say half asleep and he goes into a coughing fit . i hurriedly sit up and turn the lamp on my side on and get up to fetch him water before he grabs my arm .

i look at him and he doesn't say anything .
" what ? you're attached already ? I'm just hoping to get you water . " i say and he still doesn't say anything but instead keeps staring at me .

" what you can't speak ? " i ask and he still makes no effort to talk .
" speak or I'm punching you " i threaten  knowing i would never do such .
" well you did threaten to cut my tongue off which made it even harder to ask what i was going to . " he says with a smile and i climb back into bed .

" what do you want llyn ? " i say rolling my eyes reaching for the lamp in order for me to switch it off  . he fiddles with his fingers and he seems nervous for the very first time . i wish i would have captured the moment .

" well , you don't have to but could you please hold my hand , cuddling or holding hands makes me sleep better . " he says flushed . i reach for his hands and intertwine our fingers .

" goodnight evellyn " i say with a yawn and he let's out small snores in reply .