Chapter 2: On The Run

A Few Days Later...

I woke up early in the morning and discovered that everyone else had already woken up and had eaten. Powder was schooling Mylo in target practice. Vi was boxing against their robotic training dummy. I went to go play some arcade games, I only got a few seconds in before I noticed the enforcers outside.

Enforcer: Tell me where I can find them.

Undergrounder: Topsider business ain't my concern.

Enforcer: It's every one of you Trenchers' concern now. Give me a name.

The man they were interrogating had spit on the enforcers' shoes. The enforcers glared down at the man causing me to step away from the window.

Y/n: Hey guys, you should come see this.

Just then the man from outside was thrown through the window I was just looking through. The enforcers had now noticed us.

Enforcer: Search them.

Mylo: Go ahead idiots, we've got nothing.

Those words caused me and Powder to exchange glances before hiding the blue crystals and looking over at Vi. Craggor quickly shut the lights off and turned the UV light on. Powder and I hid behind the cardboard cutouts that were our target practice. She got grabbed, so I hit the target that caused giant metal jaws to clamp down on the enforcer's arm. I grabbed her arm and pulled her outside with the others in tow.

Enforcer: Get them!

Y/n: I'm not going back! Y-you can't make me!

I laughed while running for my life, my blood was racing, and my adrenaline was pumping. Yet, I suddenly felt myself get stopped. I opened my eyes again and saw that we were blocked on all sides. Then there was a whistle, it sounded like it came from above us. It was another kid like us.

???: Over here!

He dropped the ladder, Vi climbed up first, followed by Claggor, Mylo, and myself. Powder was at the bottom of the ladder they tried to grab her leg only to miss and have Vi break the ladder off, the mass of metal falling upon the enforcers.

Y/n: Thank you, mystery guy.

Powder: He's Ekko, a friend of ours.

Y/n: Well, it's nice to meet you.

Ekko: Same here, but we should go. I could use some help with the tinkering table though.

Y/n: Yeah, no problem. Besides, we don't want those time-traveling robots to find us.

Ekko: They're enforcers they don't time travel... and no, they're not robots.

Y/n: Fine, but it sure does feel like we've been running from them a lot lately.

Meanwhile...

Vi: Powder, you need to hide those crystals.

Powder: Yeah, no shit.

I was led through the underground back to Vander's bar. There we found an uprising, demanding that we turn ourselves in to rid them of the enforcers.

Powder: Why don't we just fight them off?

Mylo: See, even Powder wants to fight.

Y/n: I'm sure he has his reasons.

Vi and everyone else stopped in their tracks. They slowly turned their heads toward me again, I seem to be quite the head-turner. Yet, this time I genuinely have no idea why they're so surprised by that.

Vi: Since when are you the voice of reason?

Y/n: Since always, obviously. I didn't get out of the mental ward by entertaining all of my fantasies you know.

Mylo: I knew it, you are faking it. Bro that is so co-

Y/n: No, I just kind of ignore whatever I deem to be unreal. Isn't that right Shadow?

Mylo: There he goes, back to his delusions.

Vi and the others rolled their eyes and walked away. Powder stayed with me though.

Powder: What does he look like?

Y/n: A monster, unlike anything that's ever been seen before. I've seen him watching me, even at my birth.

Powder: Does he ever talk to you?

Y/n: Only when we're alone, other times he just growls. I've learned to listen to his tones.

Powder: W-well, this is Whisker. I made her, I just hope she'll work unlike the last one.

Y/n: I'm sure that you'll figure it out if you keep at this, who knows what kind of things you'll make? I know that you'll be great someday, and I can't wait to see it.

Powder: T-thank you Y/n, look we shou-

A toy monkey playing with cymbals started up causing everyone to look over. I was told what that meant, and I did my best to follow directions.

Vi: Enforcers... hide.

Everyone scrambled into a hiding place, only hope that we wouldn't be found filled our heads. Powder was holding herself up by a metal pole on the ceiling. If she falls, the enforcers would surely know where we were. I stretched my arm toward hers and suddenly she began to stabilize herself better, I'm not sure how or why, yet, I can't help but think I had done something to help her.

The enforcers left not long after, and Vander came to check on us finding a worried Vi. Powder seemed confused by her sudden stability still. I saw what I can only describe as smoke radiating from my hands.

Vi: Powder almost got caught, what if they got her, what if they get any of us.

Vander: I won't let that happen.

Vi: If you won't fight them, then I will.

Vander: Everyone, I need to talk with Vi... alone.

We all went our separate ways, leaving me with my own monster to deal with. I've learned that he's quite the pessimist, but often times he's right. I'm not sure if this was one of those times. Especially since he's in a bad mood right now.

Shadow: They don't need you, they'll throw you away the first chance they get.

Y/n: You think that I don't know that? I've been fighting for my life, hanging by a string, that job we did is the only reason that they allowed me to stay.

Shadow: They hate you because you're different, they see it... as a weakness!

I jumped back from his sudden lunge at me. I felt my heart racing and I passed out from the blood rush.

Two Hours Later...

I woke up to Vi having a talk with Powder. Some things were said that caused me to wonder if Shadow was wrong.

Vi: You know, Powder; what makes you different makes you strong. Always remember that, okay?

After that, she left, not that any of us minded, but we didn't realize what was about to happen.