Chapter 16: Lost Cause

Two Weeks Later...

"I'm fine, scars healed, vital organs unruptured," I informed the enforcers at the door as I remove my IV. Caitlyn seemed the most troubled by my sudden disappearance but still handed over my equipment. "Let's see, grapnel gauntlet, smoke pouch, retractable blade. Yeah, that's everything, wait, lockpick," I said now grabbing the last gadget.

"Well, I guess I'll see you two later then," I said before going into a sprint and diving out the window before firing the gauntlet, the hook embedding into the side of a building causing me to swing to the top of Zaun with my momentum as I brought out my claws to crawl on the underside of Piltover.

I removed one of my hands from the stone leaving only one arm to support my weight. "Where did you go?" I questioned as my tracker fired up. I scurried to the closest exit of Zaun and reached our rooftop.

"We had good times here didn't we?" Jinx asked, I lowered myself down to my stomach and turned my head to face her. I ran my fingers over her scars, most of them from the last few years. "This, this wasn't your fault I promise," she declared knowing my tendency to blame myself for things beyond my control.

"No, but I am the cause. I know that much, I'm a stronger person than when I left. And you're still just as beautiful," I said causing her to look down to her arms and feel the warmth on her skin, her scars fading as my hand went over them. Some remained, others went, and the ones that persisted had a reason in her mind to stay there. "I want you to know, you're not your scars. You don't have to worry about being burned anymore."

Jinx giggled as her hair was removed from her face and bright blush on her face. Butterflies. She'd nearly forgotten the feeling, her flustered thoughts preventing her from speaking. Yet it was more than she'd ever had before because looking at her was someone with unconditional love. In my eyes, she saw that I had no doubts in my mind about what I wanted. It nearly made her sick, especially since she has no clue what she wanted or needed. These days, she simply exists, doing things on a whim.

"Y'know, perhaps you should meet Dr. Mundo, I think you'd like him," Jinx said trying to change topics. Yet I didn't look away from her eyes, she felt small in my arms. Subconsciously she'd nestled into my chest and looked up at me. "Y/n... I... watch out," she muttered under her breath. A cloud of debris covered us and I held back the purple fist.

"I'm guessing you're Mundo?" I said, he broke a smile seeing that I stopped his first attack. He backed away slightly and cracked his knuckles. Jinx watched in shock at the effortless halt of the fist. She slowly backed away, afraid of facing my wrath. "Jinx... It's alright, you're okay," I responded sensing her retreat. She looked at the ground and saw the cone of non-debris and my body covered in cuts and scratches from the shards of concrete and stone.

"Best cure for old pain? New pain!" he shouted as a bright light surrounded the immediate vicinity. Once the light dissipated, only two figures were left behind. Jinx and Dr. Mundo. I vacated their field of vision in the opportunity created. I sat on the edge of the building eating my sandwich.

"Yeah see, I don't think you're a real doctor, but what the heck, I'll indulge you," I responded grabbing their attention once more. Mundo rushed over preparing to swing his fist at my face, but before he could, I ducked under his arm and delivered a strike to his side.

He stopped before falling onto all fours and threw up, only to then be pinched on the neck. "So, tell me, which one still hurts? New pain or old pain?" I asked but obviously wasn't going to get a response anytime soon. Jinx took my full attention once again.

"Look Jinx, I care about you. Which is why, unfortunately, I'm going to be the one to catch you someday," I said, causing her to ease up and parkour her way through Zaun again. "Pleasure to meet you too, Doctor."

I considered attempting to go after her again but found my hand shaking. I don't think that she even realized how it felt to be able to hold her in my arms after all this time. I couldn't stop shaking even as I talked to her. But in her absence, it slowly receded, and I could be a bit more honest about my thoughts.

The person she's become scares me, I can't see the Jinx that I once knew. She's cemented herself as the person she's had to become. And I... I can't help romanticizing her all over again, "What is wrong with me?" I said while my fist against the brick wall beside me, tears streaming down my face. "I swore to myself... I swore that I'd never let her put me in this position ever again. I can't do this anymore, every time I have hope in us and become vulnerable around her she pushes me away."

Unknown to me at the time, Jinx had overheard this and felt a pain in her chest. She reached out wanting to say something, but also found her hand trembling. She'd confessed her feelings before he left her behind, it scared her then and part of her is still scared of losing him again. After all, that was the first time that he'd pushed her away instead.

"Y/n... I..." she murmured before retreating into a sense of comfort. I left the alley not long after and walked back to Piltover and knocked on a door. Given how late it had gotten, I wouldn't be surprised if no one answered the door. Yet, the door swung open and Caitlyn motioned me inside.

"So, how did it go? Did you capture her?"

"Nope."

"Well, what happened?"

I gave a sigh and sat down at their table, they've agreed to let me stay here until everything is stable. "Listen, I don't want to talk about it right now... I'm just... hungry is all," I responded, Caitlyn knew that this was an obvious lie, but understood my hesitation.

After the meal and a little more time to deliberate, I decided to tell them what happened. "I met Dr. Mundo, real oddball there," I said before taking a sip of wine. "Oh and Jinx is the one that introduced us, yeah, turns out she brought me there to try and kill me. Almost worked too, if I hadn't caught on in time who knows what could have happened."

"You fought Dr. Mundo?"

"Yeah, but it's not really that big of a deal." 

Caitlyn and Vi exchanged alarmed glances before returning their attention to their guest. "Anyway, tomorrow... tomorrow Jinx goes down for good."