Chapter 14: Homecoming

Four Years Later...

For the past four years, I've traveled all of Runeterra, climbing its highest peaks and delving into its deepest valleys. As time went on I became a phantom, going from place to place and helping those in need when I could. The name Shadow has been established in every region, but for once not viewed in a negative connotation, I do admit that I have my list of personal favorite destinations. I took a swig of rum, before setting the bottle back down in this pub, the waves crashing against the shore, and ships on the horizon.

Bilgewater is my latest vacation before heading home after all this time, my list, however, includes Shadow Isles, for apparent reasons. However, I also find its inhabitants to be interesting. Noxus, for the great battles, I've won a few of those before leaving. Last, but not least The Void, which in a weird way reminded me of that place where I had first obtained my powers.

Though not completely the same, it was close enough to feel familiar. After all, the place itself is sentient, but dangerous all the same. Since anyone touched by its power suffers an agonizing glimpse of eternal unreality, this is oftentimes enough to shatter even the strongest mind. Denizens of the Void realm itself are construct-creatures, often of only a shard of the whole, but tasked with a singular purpose. To usher in total oblivion across Runeterra. I don't totally agree with its goals, but I respected its presence all the same.

I stood up from my barstool and opened a rift, emerging from it to find Piltover and Zaun in chaos with new faces around. The current scrap is between some guy swinging a massive hammer and the other some kind of metal man. Everyone ran away screaming while I watched the fight with a bag of popcorn.

However, the blue-haired woman in the corner of my eye caused me to toss my popcorn. I ran toward her before hearing the hammer drop.

"Hey! That's littering!"

"Oh, like destroying property is any better? Double standards much?"

During my rant, I had actually gone back and put the bag in the garbage, before glaring at the two of them. I looked toward where she was standing but now she was gone. I went to the rooftop searching for anything that would leave a trail. After seeing that the trail went cold I used my new skills to track what her soul had left behind. In the time I've been gone, I've gained more supernatural abilities such as being able to see remnants of soul energy, however, I've discovered that the drawback of using this one is that it makes me hungry, I still haven't quite figured out why that is. I'm sure it's not relevant.

I pursued this trail, but my first discovery is that whoever was here before had been running from someone or something before my sighting. It was only a matter of time at this point. That much is apparent. A pool of red liquid caught my attention a few rooftops away, my worry only grew as I vaulted over the railing and onto the next rooftop in one quick movement. With my view still blocked I had to pick up the pace now that I can hear the injured groans on the next one, but this time there was a bigger gap between the two, so I had to back up just to try and build some momentum.

The only thing I had to get me across now is just the strength in my legs. So, I jumped across the eight-foot gap with ease before going into a tuck and roll. I continued on until I could see around the pillar of bricks in my way. I found the blue-haired girl but she looks not quite like Jinx, no, I have an idea of who this is though. "Hey, Caitlyn. You wouldn't happen to see Jinx around have you?"

"You mean she finally left your ass?" she said with a chuckle before coughing blood. I'll admit that confused me a bit. The hostility in her voice also seems unwarranted.

"What do you- you know what, never mind. Come on, let's take you to a clinic," I said while trying to pick her up, but she tried to escape my hold before realizing that she has no chance of escaping me for the moment. She held on to me as tight as she can before we jumped off the rooftop and entered a rift that I had opened, we slid down the wormhole before emerging at the infirmary.