Chapter Two

When his feet touched the Territories land, Chronos pushed his former business out of his mind, focusing on what was to come.

He could focus on killing the blood Queen later. Right now, it wasn't the most pressing issue. The most pressing issue was that witch up in the castle who sat whispering witchy nonsense down his brother's ears.

If Lorcan had called another meeting with such late notice, then it didn't take a genius to figure out what it was about.

More specifically, who.

Fucking evil witches.

Somehow, it was concerning the witches. It was always concerning the witches. He'd want more protection measures implemented to make sure the witches didn't steal back the precious witch on his arm. That, or he'd want to come up with a plan of attack to take the rest of the witches on. To stop them from taking her from him, now and forever. The future seer was supposed to lure them out, bringing the witches right where they wanted them. Thus far, taking the witch had done nothing but piss the enemy off.

Chronos grew tired of it.

He gave his senses a moment to adjust to the onslaught of new smells.

The Lupine Territories were steepled in nature and wildlife. First to hit his nose were the trees and some wildflowers. Not too far off from that were the smells coming from the nearest village. He scented a stream somewhere in the forest. Then blood.

His hackles rose.

Blood meant threats.

Blood meant fights.

Blood meant the chance to kill.

There were few things Chronos loved more in the world than killing.

He spared a glance about himself. Having just entered through a portal, he should've bumped into a guard by now. To ward off the witches, at least two had been stationed at every entrance to the realm.

He followed the scent of blood to the ground.

There, in a heap by the trees, laid three dead bodies. Chronos crouched down beside them. Their skin was a greenish grey—too tight on their bones, yet somehow flappy at the same time. He poked one and grimaced. Dead or not, something beyond that wasn't right.

They'd been drained.

Vampires?

His claws flared.

He wouldn't hesitate to kill a vampire.

No. He'd relish in it.

"H-hello?"

Chronos froze where he stood, his skin prickling with heat.

His ears twitched to locate the voice. It was high, like a woman's, and soft like wind chimes.

"I-is someone—is someone there?"

And afraid.

Chronos wasn't known for his empathy on the best of days. Now, he heaved out a sigh. If the woman had seen whatever had happened here, then he supposed her fear made sense.

He could shake her for answers. The guards had been killed. That made this a royal, official matter.

How long left until he had to meet with Lorcan?

He could use the distraction, suppose. The last thing he needed was Lorcan to see him distracted and find out his plans for 'his mate' and the witch Queen.

"P-please. I'm scared."

Biting out a curse, he started in the sound's direction, stomping his feet extra loud so she'd know he was coming. He kicked aside dry, dead leaves as he walked. It was Autumn in the territories.