Chapter Forty-Three

Annaliese didn't know what to expect when her feet hit the floor again, her hand held tightly by the werewolf's.

A part of her still felt like she was walking to her doom. Most of her was glad to be there simply for what it meant with Chronos. But there was a part of her that was still afraid of what this place meant.

Historically, Annaliese didn't do fear.

It was midday in the Common World. A retched place she'd never wanted to return to. That was the thing about Veneficus. In Veneficus, she knew exactly what she was dealing with. This place was a different story. This place thrived in the night, so she wasn't surprised that there weren't many people around.

"I know a place we can stay for a while," Chronos said, directing her down an empty street.

"I should hope so."

"I'm not saying the rooms are anything special, but they're good enough. You should feel comfortable here. It's the only place that'll take us on such short notice. And, I, this is what my life looked like before you. Judge to your heart's content."

It occurred to Annaliese that the werewolf was nervous.

How dreadfully out of character.

But she was glad. It meant she wasn't the only one feeling shaken. Her werewolf wasn't used to this either.

"So long as it's not a boat-shed, I don't care where you take me."

Chronos threw her a smile. "It's a bar. I know the people that work there. I trust them all. You might have heard of Morio's."

"Bits and pieces."

Nothing to write home about.

Morio's was a bar where immortals frolicked doing whatever the fuck they fancied. So long as an all-out war didn't break out, the owner didn't give many shits as to what went down within. Annaliese had heard more than enough about this place from Seth.

Before long, Chronos pushed the infamous doors to Morio's open and guided her through.

The place was like his second home. His home away from home. He hoped, with time, the place would grow on Annaliese too.

As was to be expected for this time of day, the bar was dead, if not for the red headed barmaid bent over a stack of papers at the bar.

At the sound of the bell, she looked up with a raised brow.

Annaliese struggled to place her species.

"Well I'll be damned," She said. She didn't even seem to notice Annaliese, which was new. Typically, she held all the attention in a room. "I was starting to think you'd forgotten about this place, your prince-liness. That or you'd died or something."

"We need a room," He said matter of factly. "Preferably my room. You haven't touched my stuff, have you?"

"First of all, no, I haven't touched your stuff. And secondly, we?" The barmaid snorted. "It's a bit early to be picking up whores, don't you think?" The redhead looked Annaliese up and down. "What are you this time? A nymph or a fey?"

"A witch."

"Good one. What are you really?"

"Certainly not a whore." Annaliese didn't appreciate being called a whore. "Try that one again and I'll bleed you out."

Chronos whistled lowly. "She didn't mean any harm by it Leese. That's just how Rosa speaks. And she won't do it again."

"Hmm."

"What is she then?" Rosa asked, smirking as she clasped her hands over the bar. "Her ears aren't pointed, so she's not an elf. I'd have recognised her if she'd been an Amazon. Are you sure you're not a nymph?"