Chapter Twenty-Four

Tensely, Annaliese sat in the throne room just over a month after the first full moon. She'd been avoiding Chronos and had since spent another night bonding with his beast on the full moon. It didn't feel like enough.

With the beast, she felt cared for and protected. She felt important for someone on an emotional level rather than a professional level. It was a feeling she could see herself getting hooked on.

Today felt like one of those days where the best thing for both of them was for them not to see each other. Chronos and Annaliese, that is. They weren't getting anywhere speaking. Torture wasn't going to change that. As a matter of fact, the last month had fully consisted of those days. All they seemed to do was hurt each other.

Besides, Annaliese had important business to tend to today.

Sitting in her throne, she doubted she'd ever looked this regal in her life.

She was pulling out the big guns today.

Her long locks had been pinned up behind her with a tiara slotted into her hair. Her dress was a long gown like usual. Today, Annaliese was armed from top to bottom, ready for anything her guests might throw at her. Even her nails had been painted. They sat like talons either side of her, lithely clutching the armrests of her throne.

She didn't make a habit of feeling nervous. Today, nervousness ran rife inside of her.

When the Squire entered her throne room, she glared down at him, waving her hand at him for him to speak.

"Hello mistress. The guests have arrived."

"Did everything go according to plan?"

She spoke without a tone, giving nothing away.

"Yes, Mistress. The King has agreed to your conditions, though he wasn't particularly happy about it."

"Good. Call them in."

"Right away, Mistress." Bowing deeply, he hurried for the doors, leaving her once more.

Vampires lined the walls of her throne room. They'd all been spelled into silence, though they were all awaiting her command.

It would come sooner or later. First, she had to find her footing.

Her skin was electric, awaiting what was to come.

A lump was in her throat as she tried to keep her cool. Today would be the worst time possible for her emotions to get ahead of her.

Normally, she had such a good hold on them. She blamed this change on the werewolf in her dungeons. He'd been messing with her mind.

He must've figured out she'd been avoiding him. Well, avoiding wasn't the right word. Neglecting was better. She'd had other people deal with him and focused on other work. But she knew the werewolf had noticed. Apparently, he spent a lot of time calling out for her.

Hmm, imagine that.

The man that hated her existence had been longing for her.

The last time she'd seen him had been on the second full moon. She'd waited until it was at its peak to turn up and had fallen to sleep against the beast again. In the morning, Chronos had carried her back up to her room and waited around until she woke up. She'd had to use her blood magic to escape his accusations.

Nervous, her fingers began to rap against the armchair of her throne.

She could feel them approaching.

A figure approached her throne.

Seth.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?"