Chapter Eleven

"Chronos," She said upon arriving. Once again, Chronos stiffened to find that the lull of her voice was like music to his ears. Incidentally, it was a catalyst to his arousal too. He did everything to keep his head out of the gutters. He wondered what that sweet voice of hers would sound like moaning his name in the throes, screaming to the rafters. He refused to believe these thoughts hadn't occurred to her. That she hadn't pictured him in that way. "I see you've made yourself quite comfortable."

"I've been sleeping on a metal bench for a week. At this point, I'll take a haystack."

"Hmm."

"I will admit that the bed's nice. It gets a man wondering what he can do on it."

"Sleep," She answered without missing a beat.

"Anything else?"

"Sorry. I don't slug it with werewolves. You don't make the running."

"You will do. Give it time. You'll 'slug it' with me. You'll be glad to slug it with me. I'll have you begging for it," He told her. His words rung true. One way or another, he was going to have her willing and pleading for him on this bed. And then he'd fuck her until she begged for release. Fuck her until she forgets all other men.

He'd have her coming so hard she'd forget her own name.

"Hmm."

Evil witch.

"What do you want from me this time bitch?"

The words stung coming up his throat. The beast was in play with his mind again, lecturing him for this attitude. The beast would quite happily forgive his mate of all of her crimes. The man would not.

"Who says that I want anything from you?"

He smirked bitterly. "More games, blood Queen?" He wouldn't stand for them tonight. Chronos was tired of them. "You've spent the last week gassing me out with airborne silver, tying me up by the same chains. Haven't you weakened me enough? You've had me viced down to tables and attacked by your witchy ilk. You left me in sexual torture for a whole three days." He gave her a pointed look, letting her know that he was onto her. He'd spent three whole days fantasising over her. About the things she'd do to him. The things he'd do to her. "Now, you expect me to believe that removing the chains and the collar has happened for no reason. You've got me in your bed, bitch. Your own bed. I'll bet this is the most lavish, comfortable bed in this entire realm. Which means you want something, so spit it out so we can get this over with quicker."

For a second, he thought she'd almost looked impressed. Then that stoic mask from before returned.

Because she had to remain focused.

Could what the vampire said be true? Was her power reliant on her ability to remain focused?

Would tonight be the chance for him to find out?

"You're not as stupid as you look, dog."

"Is that any way to address the man you're wanting something from? Normally, most people go for something a little more pleasant."

"I'll bet you want things from me too," She returned. "A shower, for one."

The witch Queen looked him up and down.

Chronos had been in sore need of a shower before she'd snagged him at the portal. His work was dirty and often involved fighting. But since then, his world had only gotten dirtier.

He doubted the cell he was sleeping in had seen a feather duster in the better part of five hundred years.

Still, even though he had his reasons, it hit both his pride and his ego to have her look at him so scathingly. Chronos had always been a ladies' man. To have her peer at him with something other than sheer lust and arousal was a punch beneath the belt.