Chapter Nineteen

Chronos was making his mind up about Annaliese, but his conscious mind didn't know his choice yet. Something inside of him knew, probably his beast.

It was as Chronos watched her work that he realised this.

Annaliese was a bitch—but he was learning she wasn't evil. She was stressed and under an immense amount of pressure. He'd given up trying to stop himself from sympathising.

It was too late to pull back now.

The worst part was that he didn't mind her being a bitch. In fact, when she snapped at other people, he found it quite enjoyable to watch. It was when she turned that bitching on him that he started to get pissed off. Depending on his choice that he wasn't yet aware of, there'd be a day in which he'd be the only exception to her general rule of bitchery.

He was going to be the one she let in.

In the war rooms, she sat at the head of that long table with a pile of papers spread out in front of her. She flicked a pen against her sexpot lips as she contemplated something. Her spare hand was absently massaging her temples.

Force of habit.

He knew she was stressed.

"You know," He said, pulling on his chains. "My job as your mate is to make these kinds of things better for you."

The Queen scoffed and turned the page. "I'm your mate, Chronos. That doesn't make you mine. Witches don't have mates."

"It seems like you don't have a lot of things, love. If I were you, I'd take pleasure wherever I could find it."

"Hmm. I guess we're lucky that you're not me, then, aren't we?"

His chains gave him just enough room to clasp his hands together.

He didn't know why she'd brought him up here with her in the first place. A part of him thought she was getting lonely. And even if his intentions verged on murderous, she trusted his bond wouldn't let him all out betray her.

"You know, Annaliese, as a Prince, I'm probably familiar with those types of documents you're looking through. I've spent most of my life in war rooms like this. I know my way around official documents, believe it or not."

"Hmm, and I suppose you're suggesting you could help me with them."

"It'd reduce your work time."

"And it would let you into the know."

"Is that so bad?"

She gave him a blank look, then continued about with her work.

Chronos wasn't done with her yet.

"You'll be sharing this work with me someday, Annaliese. You might as well get a head start now. That same logic applies to your bed. We could practice a few positions when you get the time. You were quite comfy bouncing on my lap last night. How about we get down to the real deal?"

"Werewolf, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Unless I kill you, you and I will be sharing this burden you have between each other."

At that, she raised an eyebrow. "I believe we've established you don't have it in you to kill me. You've had plenty of chances now and failed every time."

It irked him to know she was right.

Chronos had had a million chances now to kill her—hell. He'd had one last night. With her back pressed to that table, there'd been nothing stopping him from slashing her throat open. Not even her magic.