Chapter Twenty-Five

Annaliese's words sparked hell in the throne room as the vampires sprang into action. Following her instruction, they grabbed the werewolf, pulling him well away from Evette.

She didn't look shocked. She didn't look happy either, but Annaliese could see by the look on her face she'd been expecting this. Seeing the future was her job and all, even though- technically- she couldn't see anything with herself in it. She'd gotten quite the feel for actions and general predictions. Besides, there was no denying the fact that she knew Annaliese.

In fact, Annaliese would bet money that Evette already knew everything that would go down in Castle Solum today. And whether Evette liked it or not, she'd let the future run its course. So long as no one was permanently damaged, they could pick up the pieces and move on. That, and messing with the future could come with consequences.

Back in the day, she and Annaliese had often discussed what the dark version of her power could've entailed. Every answer they'd come up with linked back to stopping the future from running its course.

So whether Evette liked this or not, she had to let it happen.

Annaliese watched jovially as they wrapped the King's arms up in silver chains. Chronos had been relocated to the cell next to his usual one for the occasion. Expecting this new royal guest, blasters were in order.

Lorcan's half-shift was hitting him now.

She watched as his body began to grow and his claws and teeth sharpened, his eyes flashing gold as he fought to get to his mate.

Suppose, when she saw his wolfish body grow like this, it was easier to understand why so many vampires had been killed in the log cabin that day. Apparently, the werewolf King was quite the fighter.

Those werewolf royals were ruthless.

Blankly, she sat back in her throne, curious to see how much damage the wolf could do before she detained him.

"Give up, werewolf," She called, enjoying herself far too much. "You're outnumbered. One werewolf cannot beat an entire army, I'm afraid. You win some, you lose some. You might as well surrender and make this easier on everyone. We haven't got all day, and your shenanigans are tiring."

"Don't fucking touch her!" He snapped back, eyes well and truly golden.

From her throne, she said, "You should worry more for yourself. No one will touch your mate. The same cannot be said for you."

"I will fucking gut you!" At that, she yawned.

"Werewolf, you bore me. Be more original."

The vampires forced him down to his knees, but his gaze didn't break from hers. "If you hurt my mate or my child, bitch, I will kill you."

Her blood ran cold. "Child?"

But he wasn't listening. Attack mode was back. He fought the vampires, mad eyes searching for Evette's. He snapped his teeth at them, claws slashing at whatever they could grab. Child. No. Surely not.

Evette lifted an arm, as if to grab him, but she pulled it back with a feigned expression.

The future had to run its course.

Evette couldn't interfere in whatever was to come. Not without devastating consequences.

Annaliese snapped her fingers. When the sound reached him, the werewolf collapsed, his blood boiling. As his eyes rolled to the back of his head, she addressed the vampires.

"Take him to Chronos' old cell. If he tries anything, turn on the blasters."

They dragged him away from the throne room, leaving the witches to their plight.