Chapter 5

When Dhun came out of the bathroom cubicle, a couple of girls – Meghna and Harsha were in there fixing their make-up. They casually greeted her. "Hi, Dhun."

"Hi..." She told them and washed her face.

After she was gone, Meghna turned to Harsha. "I think she was crying in there?"

"What? Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I think I heard a sniff. And did you not see her eyes. She was definitely crying."

Meanwhile, Rithvik waited in the canteen, thinking... And Dhun walked in. He saw Dhun, but upon seeing him, Dhun turned around and walked in the other direction. She did not want to deal with him right now. Rithvik was further confused by her reaction.

"Dhun..." He called her. But she did not stop. He got up to follow her. "Dhun..." He caught up with her and caught her hand.

"What is going on?" He asked. "We need to talk, right?"

"Well, I did come to talk to you." She turned to him, "But I was brushed aside like some random girl."

"Sorry, I was in the middle of something."

"Yeah. And I was not important enough to give attention." She was angry. "You did not seem like the person who kiss me back yesterday...."

"Dhun, I am sorry. But I really was in the middle of something important."

"Okay." She said. "You know what? It's okay. I tried...Okay? If you don't like me that way, I can't do anything about that."

"Dhun, you are not listening. It is not about you."

"Great, It is not even about me. I will just leave." She turned around.

"Come on.... Don't be so dramatic. I was dealing with a fight with Ansh. So I asked you to wait. I am talking to you now, na?" Dhun does not budge. "Dude, please.... I cannot lose all my friends in one day." He also was frustrated now. "You are my friend. I don't want to upset you. But... Look, I am going through something, okay? So I am sorry. I don't think I can do this."

Dhun looked at him, not fully able to believe that she just got rejected. She was just feeling numb inside. "What?" She asked.

"It's not about you. It's the timing." Rithvik said. "The timing is all wrong. And timing is important. I don't think I can give you enough attention right now. I am not in a position to start anything."

Dhun felt so heartbroken. She looked away, trying to not cry in front of him. She felt so stupid to have confessed to him. She always was wary about telling him her feelings. Rithvik had always felt so unattainable for her. She did not want to lose his friendship as well. But now, this was happening.

She held her tears back and gulped them down. "So I am getting rejected." She said.

"Dhun, I am sorry," Rithvik said.

She nodded, still dignified. "You know..." She struggled to get the words out. "I wouldn't have done what I did last night if I thought I stand no chance. I had a feeling that you love me. In whatever way. Because when we were young, on my tears you did not hesitate to give me your most prized treasure."

Rithvik looked confused. He had no idea what she was talking about.

"But I guess I was wrong," Dhun concluded. "But it is okay. I will deal with it. Take care then..." She turned around and walked away.

Take care? – Rithvik did not know what she meant by that. He was just left a whole lot confused.

So he walked to the classroom and sat in an empty space. He did not understand his own feelings. It was muddled and complicated. Besides, all his attention was on this problem with Ansh right now.