A Hunter's Tale

Mia, Villenus Plateaus

Seeing the Emerald Knight’s blade fly out of his hands provides Mia and the girls some relief. Sir Renly’s choice of weapon is not the sword, but he displays excellent swordsmanship as expected of the Order of Integrity Knights. She had no doubts Sir Renly would win the fight, but the tension came from the Emerald Knight’s ability to keep up.

“This duel is over,” Renly states as he lowers his blade and turns away. “We’ll be on our way.”

The opposing swordsman grunts and backs off. “Impossible.”

As Renly steps back to the girls, Ronie is first to congratulate the powerful warrior. “Good job, Renly.”

Renly nods and sighs as he hands Tiese back her sword. “That was easier than I thought.” Mia almost let her inner thought slip out, but decides not to. Maybe what she saw as Sir Istalk being somewhat of a contest for Renly was actually the latter holding back. Given she doesn’t know the definition of “holding back”, how would she know?

“Renly, sir! I’m sorry for causing trouble!” TIese bows and apologizes, but not as Renly’s girlfriend or whatever, but as a page to her knight. It doesn’t seem to bother Renly, who gently holds her should with a warm, comforting smile.

“Don’t worry about that, Tiese.”

“The Emerald KNight just lost in public view, so he should just leave us alone.” Ilia determines that since the people of Scolea Village came out to view the spectacle themselves. “Now then, we should get back on task and let’s confirm the hunter’s story with Tiese.”

Mia sighs ahd shakes her head. “Loosen up, Ily. Didn’t you enjoy the duel? The timid Sir Renly defending the lovely Tiese against the man who bears a resemblance to her former mentor? In a weird way, it was two men fighting over the girl they love. If it wasn’t so scary, it would be a realization of every girl’s dream.”

“I don’t recall ever having such dreams.”

“That’s because you are like your lady. Too focused on your goals and such to enjoy what’s around you. However, this once I do agree, so my master can shower me with praise.”

Ronie rolls her eyes. “Right… So, Tiese, while we searched for you, we learned that a hunter named Tahmul is the only one who could’ve seen the Divine Object, but he doesn’t drink.”

“Does that mean my uncle’s been lying?”

“I don’t know… I mean, why would he even lie?”

“Tiese, what kind of man is your uncle?”

“He’s an earnest man… A bit of a coward, but not a bad man, not at all.”

“Hmm, someone has a type, hehe.”

“Disregarding that, maybe the hunters just didn’t hear the story, then?”

“I’ll take you to my uncle’s home. He can tell you the story himself.”

“Hold,” Ilia pauses the group, “shouldn’t we wait on Lady Medina and the others?”

Renly shakes his head. “We shouldn’t stall our end of the investigation. Although I did not expect them to be gone this long… Guess we’ve got no choice. We need to be sure that the Divine Object’s at the Taboo Knight’s Tomb.”

xxxxxxxxx

“Sir Renly! Ladies Ronie, Ilia, and Mia! Thank you for coming all the way out here from the capital!” A middle-aged man with short, brown hair bows to the girls and Renly as they come to the highest house on the mountainside village. “You must have heard from Tiese, but I’m not sure if it really is a Divine Object.”