Another Giant Problem In The Desert

Ilia takes both her hands, forming two O-shaped loops with her thumb and index finger, and generate two pieces of glass within the loops. Separating her hands to enhance her vision, she scopes out the first camp she and Mia come across. Sure enough, just outside the fence of the camp is an orangish-black giant. She only got a glimpse of them during the war, so her knowledge of the large demihumans is based on stories from childhood and from Medina's days in the ACTF. She hadn't consulted Mia yet.

"Well, Illy?"

"There's the first tent...and looks like there's a giant here." She moves her hands to let Mia look through the glasses. "Well, do you know of these giants?"

"Kinda small for a giant, in my experience. Based on our intel, there was a colossal shadow, so a bigger one must be around here somewhere."

"Tch..."

"Did you just 'tch'? Wow, you are Medina's apprentice! Do it again!"

Ilia ignores Mia's commentary and casts off the glassware. "This is going to be a bother. Let's take down this giant first. From the front!"

Taking a serious, dark face, Mia reaches for the bow on her back. "I'll provide cover fire from here. You get close and slay it. Easy peasy... What?"

Ilia has a deep feeling Mia just doesn't want to be up close with a giant, and if anyone should know how to fight one, it should be the one who lives in the same place. She decides against arguing with the dark worlder and pushes herself off the sandy slope. As she slides down, Mia begins to shoot. Her shots miss, striking the sand around the giant-or alternatively, her shots hit their mark, kicking up the sand around the giant to surprise it.

The distraction proves worthwhile as the giant is distracted long enough for Ilia to complete her trip down the slope and dash on her feet. Ilia now in its sights, the Pebblestone Giant roars angrily at the advancing girl, just for more purple arrows to make their mark on it. Now close enough to attack, Ilia leaps in the air and swings, cleanly slicing off the giant's head. She almost feels bad for the poor humanoid. Almost.

She sees a fiery flare shoot up from Mia's position, alerting the Quicksanders that the first tent is secure. If all the giants were this easy, it would be nice, yet Ilia believes that's illogical.

xxxxxxxx

"That one went down easy."

Ilia nods as she lights the second signal for the desert dwellers. "And was hungry. He ate the Quicksanders' rations."

"Stupid giants."

Ilia feels there is more to the negativity of Mia's insult than it seems. "You have a problem with the giants? I mean, I see why demihumans hate both humans here and in Obsidia, but-"

"You may think all the humans in the dark territory live in Obsidia, but that's false. I wasn't born in the capital, so don't lump me in with them. If you believe the giants are victims of humans believing themselves superior, then you're wrong. The Dark Territory is defined by its strength, and it was humanity's strength that award us Obsidia. Yes, the giants, the orcs, and the goblins have a good reason to hate us, but what of us humans who suffer in the wastelands with them? Adults struggle to make ends meet. Children starving, orphaned, and enslaved. The little we have were taken by monsters. The little the Quicksanders have was robbed by them. It's not right for beings like us to take from those who struggle to survive."