Forget Me Not

The world she knows is cold and dark. Outside, all there is to see is falling snow, steep, treacherous mountains, and more snow on those mountains. Encasing her is a magnificent castle on the inside, but on the inside, not a soul she cares for walks within its great halls. The only person in the throne room in which she sits is her, a symbol of her emptiness in the greater world.

This is her curse, her burden, and ironically, her abyss. She's the Queen of Loneliness, Eydis.

How long has it been since she's been alone? Days? Months? Centuries? She can't remember. What she does remember is the last time she did not feel alone, and that was the day she waved farewell to the woman she loved like a sister.

"Eydis… Will Jaymes be there?"

"He promised."

"Did you find him?"

"No, I did not. But… I know in my heart he'll be there." Eydis clutches her breastplate, looking up to the blue sky. "Maybe that's the thing called love, huh? Makes you believe in miracles and whatnot."

"...Maybe so." Alice smiles and turns to Eydis, nodding to her. "We should head out, right?"

"Right." Eydis pets Kirimai on the side of the gray dragon's neck and pick up the reins. "Let's get this war over with quickly, Alice. Once we're done, I'll demand we get a couple of weeks away. Just be sure to live, okay?"

Alice chuckles. "I would like that. Maybe I'll force Jaymes to take care of Kirito and we can do that. But until then, farewell, Eydis Synthesis Ten."

"Farewell, Alice Synthesis Thirty."

Those were the last words spoken to Alice before the war began, and at its end, she was whisked away to another world. That's when the cold emptiness began, and slowly, her castle began to lose life. The happiness in its halls became a frigid sadness. Everyone left her behind alone in this palace to suffer and die. The Order of Integrity Knights, the Unification Council, the people of the Human Empire...Medina and Jaymes too.

She last saw them in the woods after they beat the Reaper, and wanted to call out to them. Yet something about seeing them together prevented that, and that's when her soul felt completely empty and cold. But for a moment, she saw Medina again and tried speaking to her before the lonely world reclaimed her. How long has it been since she saw Medina's anger in the forest? It's gotten colder and darker since then.

As she heaves a sigh, she hears the metal doors at the throne room's entrance roar open. Someone is here in the castle? How did they get here? When? She doesn't have the answers to those, but she does have an answer as to who is here being escorted by knights in silver armor. She can never forget the short, burgundy hair, the angelic-white tunic, and the red boots that click against the floor as the womanly figure approaches. She scans the chamber in awe before her blue eyes settle on the lone throne, then their eyes meet.

For the first time in what feels like an eternity, Eydis' mouth moves and her vocal cords resonate. "Me...dina?"

"Eydis. So this is where the real you has been."

Eydis' jaw slackens in surprise. "You're... No way... Really? It's really you?"

"Of course. It is I, Medina Orthinanos."