Pox In Norlangarth

Ilia, moments before

"Someone call the guards!"

"Look out and run, everyone! Get away!" Ilia, Ronie, and Tiese turn towards the nearby alley, hearing a shout coming from there. Hand on the hilt of her sword, Ilia rushes into the alley, disregarding her friends' concerns. Turning the corner, she sees two men standing around another flat on the ground. They stand over him fearfully and distantly, and even halt Ilia from approaching the downed man.

"Somebody collapsed! Why would you run? What did you call the guards for?"

"Don't touch them! You'll catch their pox! Keep away from the infected!"

Ilia narrows her eyes, but dictates that the man must know something she doesn't. Since they're from the north, Ilia formally introduces herself and the girls coming behind her. "Can you explain this to me? I'm Ilia Ordonia, Integrity Knight Trainee and servant to the ninth head of Lady Medina Orthinanos. This is Ronie Arabel and Tiese Shritillen, also trainees to the Order."

The merchants look at each other, and the first man explains. "In that case... He got some food from Lodend, then fell sick shortly after. It's the bluethorn sickness. It turns your skin blue and causes swift death."

"Hmm... He does have blue protrusions on his skin, you're right."

Ronie gasps. "Wait, do you mean the Lodend Mountains? That's where Rulid Village is... I hope the people are okay."

xxxxxxxxxxx

Present

Thanks to the guards showing up, the man was taken to the nearest infirmary, allowing the trainees to head to the cathedral. Ilia headed straight for the last known location of her mentor, running into her and Jaymes on the hot baths of the 90th Floor and reported in. Once they were clothed, the trio made their way to the infirmary.

Jaymes stands by the inspecting priest whlle Medina and Ilia sit nearby, the Lycoris Knight reading the message from her mother quietly. Ilia maintains her silence by idly switching her gaze from Medina to Jaymes and the nurse until her mentor sets the letter down. "Ilia. are you aware of a folktale told in Norlangarth about Windcutter's Ridge?"

"Windcutter's Ridge? Isn't that somewhere east of the Lodend Mountains?"

"Correct. It is said that those who trespass in the area are inflicted with a blue curse. Hunters, lumberjacks are said to be afflicted, and it'll devastate villages."

"That means... It has to be an Ancient Apostle, right?"

"Given recent events, yes, you'd be right to assume such. What we can say is that the curse is not a tale. If the folktale was once true, that means Administrator put an end to it long ago, whether because it was a threat to her or simply to maintain her order on the world. But ever since she was felled, the order she protected has fallen apart. The war, the rebellion, and now this... If the disease is the result of another divine beast rising now that it's chains are broken..." Looking frustrated, Medina turns around and glances at the examiners. "How are the symptoms?"

"We managed to treat it early, but it's too soon to say if it's cured. I was fortunate enough to get medicine. If not from the cure from Rulid Village, we wouldn't have been so lucky."

"Rulid?"

"Indeed. That village is near the source of the epidemic. A young sister from the village told me about the way to treat it. She was here for a short while to help us, but returned home about a week ago after recieving a letter from her village saying the cases had increased."

"Selka," Medina announces. "Alice's little sister, remember?"

"Ah, right." Jaymes turns to Medina, pointing to the letter. "Anything you learn?"