2 - Their Move

Vinzo 

I despise weddings.

Today was the marriage of the Underboss, Maximus Sorrentino to Stella Reynalds. It had been... a wedding I was able to survive the entirety of. And now we are back at the estate for the reception, the happy couple talking in the corner, their babies already asleep.

Every-one is celebrating, besides the unlucky ones who are on guard duty tonight though I consider them lucky for missing this.

I don't hate weddings because of what they stand for. I'm happy for my Underboss, for him finding someone he considers to be his other half and mother of his children. And I like Stella, yes, I had reservations about her but that was because I wouldn't want anyone as kind as her in this mafia world.

I just hate weddings for their reminder of what I almost had.

Placing my empty glass down I motioned to Vincent to pour me another; the man nodding from down the bar.

Looking up I caught my reflection in the mirror. The right side of my face and the deep scar tissue goes from my hairline down to my chin and starts from the corner of my right lip to an inch before my ear.

I hate looking at my face. Every time I see a mirror or a photo all I see are the scars. They are a constant reminder of failing the task I hold most sacred.

Protecting family.

The therapist Lorenzo makes us all go to says I have unresolved trauma and need to get over my past. But what does he know? He went to some fancy university and repeats shit out of books. He has no idea the true weight of pain.

The placement of a new whiskey took me away from my memories and I nodded at Vincent, then stepped away from the bar to go into a corner and away from the dam mirror.

Finding a spot, I lean against the wall and took a sip of the drink. I didn't care if it looked like I was sulking while everyone laughed and had a great time.

"You look like you are in pain." A voice came from behind me. Glancing over my shoulder I found Siren. "Not a fan of weddings?"

Siren was young when she first started working for us. A fantastic grifter and thief who has worked under cover and brought us valuable information. But she went and fell in love with some biker making her reconsider her life and 'get out' of the mafia world.

As if that is a real option.

I withheld a grumble. "What are you doing here, thought you were out?"

She puckered her lips. "You're the second person to bring that up to me. Am I not able to celebrate a friend's wedding?"

I turned to face her. "Not in this life. If you're out, stay out. Other-wise you are giving yourself up as a target."