6 - Highest Point

Another chapter this week! Things are about to get interesting <3

Vinzo

I should have let her go.

I should have checked in with my Don, secured the parameter, seen who these assassins were and how they came so close.

But I didn't.

For fifteen long years I believed that Sabine was dead. That she burned alive in the Sorrentino house after it was set ablaze.

I have grieved for her every day since.

I blamed myself for not having saved her.

So, no, I didn't go back to my Don, I didn't go back to the estate.

I went to find her.

I can only imagine how different she is from the girl I once knew. But one thing I remember was her love and comfort in high places. Which is why I am currently entering the clock tower; the highest place in the city.

Picking the lock, I make my way up the tower to find her.

"Sneaking up on a lady is bad manners." Sabine called out into the dark. "Or have you forgotten since being in America, Vinzo?"

My body shivered hearing her voice call my name; I never expected to hear it again in this life.

I forced my body to get to the top floor, my breathing uneven and mind racing. This felt like a dream or a nightmare depending on how this will end.

"You really have a thing against America, don't you?" I asked walking into the room, finding her with weapons and an open wine bottle.

My stomach clenched looking at her, this haunting image in front of me.

Sabine turned around and faced me; picking up the wine bottle and taking a sip from it. "I have a thing against most things."

Looking her up and down I couldn't believe that she was standing in front of me.

Her once long hair was now cut to her shoulders, the dark brown hair a contrast against her skin that brought out her deep brown almond eyes. But what bothered me the most, was that she didn't have a scent. Everyone smells like something; but not her.

It was like looking at and standing next to a ghost.

I noticed bloody bandages on the floor and saw the bandage across her upper thigh. "You alright?"

Sabine shrugged and brought her injured leg behind the other. "I've had worse. Nothing a bottle can't fix."

A moment passed before I could find my tongue and I finally spoke again. "So, you're alive and it wasn't your ghost I saw."

Sabine tilted her head. "I guess I am alive. But, who knows how much longer that will last."

I hummed, my mind racing to process her standing in front of me. "Haven't even heard a whisper of you, believed you burned that night."