10 - Cheshire Smile

Vinzo

Vinzo

I don't think I'll ever recover from seeing Sabine alive. Though I should be happy she is here, seeing her interact with my family is making me twitch.

Yes, I'm glad she saved another member of my family but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with her. I do not know her, and the way she flirts and dares for a fight, tells me she doesn't have a single care nor registers the danger of the Bravata threat.

This isn't Sabine. She hated killing. But this woman, she's got the Cheshire cat smile at the idea of killing fellow assassins. The last conversation we had was about whether or not we were going to let our parents marry us. She said she didn't want to be around someone who would blindly follow orders and kill... to marry someone like me.

...and someone like who she is now.

My Sabine, is truly dead.

The blood rushing in my body began to pound in my ears. Plans spun in my head of who I must get in contact with. Some to learn about the Bravatas and others to find out about this 'Sabine'.

Either way... What is she and Lorenzo talking about and what will my Don decide on for her fate?

I reached up and adjusted the collar around my throat, pulling at the tie which is currently feeling like a noose around my neck.

"You good?" I looked over to find Romano carefully watching me.

It was currently him, Sebastian and myself waiting outside the conference room. Maximus had left to go find his wife and children the moment he was free. He needed to talk through what having a kill hit means to Stella who is no doubt going full Momma Bear to anyone looking at her babies.

Turning away I give him a grunt, I didn't feel like talking at the moment.

Last week I would have done anything to be around Sabine, to see her alive. But not anymore, being around this woman makes my skin burn, jaw clench and all I want to do is be far away from her in order to breathe again.

"Do you think Lorenzo will give her a chance?" Sebastian muttered quietly looking at the door. "To let her prove her loyalty."

I couldn't answer that question, I didn't want to think about that answer.

"Go find Desi." I barked at him.

He turned to me and opened his mouth but quickly shut it. Whatever expression I was wearing had him turning on his heel to go find his mark.

I could feel Romano's eyes but I ignored him.

Minutes ticked by slowly before the door opened to Lorenzo and Sabine exiting, her attention on her phone while she texts.

My Don looked at Romano and myself, slight amusement in his eyes.

"Aw." Sabine cooed, putting her phone into her tight pant pocket. "They stayed to make sure you were safe. Cute little solider boys."