Chapter 1 "The Fallen Hunger Games"

Cato’s PoV

“Wait a second… The Fallen Hunger Games?” Clove says, confused.

“Yes, we select 2 tributes, one male and one female, from Districts 21 to 32. District 21 would be their District 1 tributes and so on. District 21 to 32 are the fallen tributes from the other Hunger Games.” President Snow explains.

“Why?” I ask.

“The Capitol is bored and we needed to give some entertainment. It’s only broadcasted for the Capitol so your families won’t find out your alive,” He answers nicely but with evilness in his eyes. “Also, there will be two victors, the Capitol seems to like romance. I don’t like it though.”

I felt like punching him but Clove held me back. “What do we get for winning?” She asks while faking a smile.

“You get to live and not die.” He says in an angry tone.

“Right.” Clove says while rolling her eyes and slamming the door.

“I hate that guy.” I say.

“You have one week to prepare!” President Snow shouts from the other side of the door.

I watch as Clove runs to her room and in a minute she is out wearing a tank top and shorts.

“I’m going to go train now.” She claims while tying her hair into side ponytail. I nod at her and walk towards the bedroom and get changed as well. I guess I should train as well, I think to myself. I walk outside and my mouth drops open. There was a pile of dummies, probably from Snow. I look around for Clove; she had just put up her last dummy. I start putting up my own and re-enter the house again to find my sword. My eyes were wondering around the lounge and I see my sword, in a case hung up on the wall. Clove’s knife stand was empty too. I walk back out and lock the door. Just as usual I slice the dummies in half and knock their head off. I easily get bored of this because it wasn’t real. I couldn’t wait to get back in arena. I wonder what tricks their going to play on us this time. After hours of training I walk back in to find Clove eating on the couch.

“We need a strategy.” I say, scaring her. She lets out a high-pitched scream. I laugh until my stomach began to hurt.

“Don’t do that!” She says cutely.

“I won’t anymore… I think we shouldn’t join the Careers this time because its two victors so we would get killed more easier.”

“I guess so and we will never leave each other because of what happened last time…” she agrees.

I knew what she meant by last time, when Thresh killed her. I sigh in disappointment. We could actually lose each other forever this time, no one gets a third chance at life.

“Does this mean everyone’s in love?”

“I don’t think they can force them into love, not everyone falls for their district partner, take Marvel and Glimmer for example.” Clove explains.

“You are so smart… and cute.” I tease while pressing my lips on her forehead.

“Go to bed now its dark.” She says while smiling.

“Okay Clover.” I say while walking off.

Just useless training for the next 6 days until the Fallen Games. Finally it was the last day before we left and it was time for our goodbyes. I would miss them all if I died but I was very confident that Clove and I would get out alive. I walk out with Clove, clenching her hand very tightly. She points to something and I turn my head to see it. It was the hovercraft, probably to take us to the train. Glimmer comes running up the stairs and crushing Clove in a hug, she lets go of my hand and closes her arms on Glimmer. I walk over to Marvel and he tells me good luck. He looked like he was about to cry but he won’t because that’s just how he is. I say my goodbyes to everyone else and Clove is comforting Glimmer.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back.” She whispers.

“What if you don’t?” Glimmer says still crying.

“She will, I swear on my last heartbeat she will.” I say while hugging both of them.

“Come on! Let’s get going, we have to get the other tributes too!” President Snow informs, trying to sound friendly. I seriously felt like stabbing that guy because all of his white lies. Clove puts one of her arms around my back and I put one around her shoulders. We walk to the hovercraft and the door closes behind us. In about 10 minutes we arrive at the train.