Chapter 9 "The Careers"

Clove’s PoV

“Hey there Clover, are you okay?” Cato asks.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“We’d better go set up, it’s going to be dark soon.”

I nod while wringing out my hair. We walk back to find some supplies; we lost our backpack in that fight. Sooner or later we stumbled across Valeria’s backpack and found our old one. Cato puts his arm around my waist protectively while we look for somewhere to set up to sleep.

“What about here?” Cato asks while pointing at an open space, surrounded by trees.

“Yeah this is fine.” I reply while dropping the backpack on the ground. Cato starts setting up our sleeping bags while I look through Valeria’s backpack, I found a couple of throwing knives, rope and a bottle of water. When night fell, the temperature dropped rapidly. I started a fire, not worrying if anyone found us. I put my hands out closer to it and wrapped myself in my sleeping bag. Cato was snacking on dried beef strips, my stomach grumbled from seeing it. He looks across from the fire, his blue eyes standing out from the flames. He shuffles over to me and hands the pack of dried beef.

“You’re hungry, aren’t you?” He asks while twirling the ends of my hair.

“Yeah, very.” I answer while taking a handful.

“That animal is scared of water right?” I say after finishing my food.

“Think so.”

“Too bad my weakness is water.”

“So that’s why you nearly drowned.” He says while laughing.

I punch him in the arm then start yawning.

“You should sleep now, I’ll keep watch tonight.”

I curl up in the sleeping bag; my shivering wasn’t helping me sleep. I breathe out and look at the air rise. The fire was out and Cato was standing up holding his machete while leaning on a tree.

“Cato?”

“What’s wrong Clover?”

“I’m freezing.”

“Do you want my sleeping bag?” He jokes.

“Very funny.” I say sarcastically.

“I’m just joking.” He replies. Cato dumps his weapon next to him then wraps his arms around me. In about a few minutes I fall into a deep sleep. Bits of sunlight were shining on my face. I felt uncomfortably warm now but Cato wasn’t holding me anymore. The Gamemakers made night freezing and the day so cruelly hot. My leg had felt better though. The stylists only gave everyone clothes for the hot weather, which didn’t really help at night, but we got a jacket after all. I take my knives off my jacket and arrange them into my belt. I leave some in my backpack along with my jacket and other supplies.

Cato’s PoV

I walk back after taking a walk to see if there were any other tributes around, I didn’t find anyone at all. Clove had already woken up and it looked like she was about to leave.

“Where are you going?” I ask. She turns herself towards me and smiles.

“I was just about to go looking for you.”

“Oh okay. Do you still want to go look some tributes?”

“We do this everyday but we haven’t got anyone.” She answers.