Chapter 15 "Victors"

Chapter 15 “Victors.”

Cato’s PoV

I open my eyes and see a number of capitol people, washing me. I felt lightheaded though and my skin looked shiny.

“Huh? What’s happening?” I moan while placing my hand on my head. I realise my hand wasn’t injured it was completely healed.

“You’re going to attend your interview with Caesar Flickerman.” Ivory says as her bright green hair falls on her shoulders. All the Capitol people start leaving the room. “We need to get you a suit.”

“Okay.” I answer briefly as she exits the room to come back with suit, similar to the one from my first interview in the 74th Hunger Games.

“This colour really suits you, you can go do that interview now!” She beams with happiness. She leaves the room to give me privacy to change.

I walk out the door and Ivory escorts me backstage. I see Clove walking with Flux and she runs up and hugs me. Ivory and Flux smile sweetly at each other after glancing at us. I lean down to kiss Clove but Flux places his hand between our lips.

“You’ll ruin her hair and make-up! I forbid you two from kissing until the crowning of the Victor, or should I say Victors?” He says frustrated. Clove uncomfortably walks on the stage with her giant heels but her dress was stunning, it was light green and slightly ruffled as it got to the bottom. I follow her while waving to the Capitol citizens, wearing either fluoro or pastel clothing.

“How does it feel being a victor?” Caesar asks with a wide smile, flashing his fluorescent teeth.

“It’s pleasurable, knowing you’ve worked so hard, killing everyone painfully and slowly.”

“How about you, Cato?” Caesar glances over at me.

“It wouldn’t be worth it, if Clove wasn’t here with me.” I say while gazing into her dark green eyes. She blushes and the audience lets out a loud, “Aw.”

“Who did you think was your biggest competition in these Games?” He questions.

“Genevieve. Don’t you think, Clove?” I answer.

“Definitely.” She says with a bright smile.

“Everyone was chewing their fingernails when they witnessed your dramatic fight. We all thought you would break up, didn’t we?” Caesar suggests to the crows. The Capitol people all murmur and nod in agreement.

“Nothing could ever stop me from loving her.” I say romantically.

“Aren’t they the most adorable couple ever?” Caesar comments and the audience cheers.

“Well of course we are.” Clove says in a charming voice and the crowd laughs.

“That wraps it up, the victors from District Two, Cato and Clove! We’ll see you at the victor crowning.” Caesar concludes the interview while we give a little bow and exit the stage.

Clove’s PoV

It was time for the crowning of the Victors. Flux runs up to me and says, “You did very well but we need to give you a touch up, especially with your hair.”

He fiddles around with my hair and redoes the complicated loose braid it was in before. Flux puts in an elegant flower at the end of the braid.

“Come with us.” Ivory says with her usual accent. We are lead up to what looks like a very modern looking veranda, just like everything else in the Capitol. It probably had a skilled architecture that designed it. On the veranda was a love seat, which actually looked more like two thrones attached together. President Snow was there as well, holding a simple crown. I walk up and sit down on the seat while taking a glance at Cato then smiling. Snow says a few sentences to the Capitol then announces that he was crowning the victors. He glares into my eyes with hatred and his expression said, “Not again.” He lifts up the crown and gives it a small twist. It breaks into equal halves. President Snow places one piece down and strides over to me while I begin to stand with Cato. I could see the bright clothing of the Capitol, looking like a blur of a messy rainbow. He sheepishly puts the crown on my head without saying a word. Coriolanus walks to Cato with the other half, wearing a fake smile on his face but hiding his shame.

“These are your Victors of the First Fallen Hunger Games!” He announces with a wisp of agitation in his voice. A roar of applause bursts from the Capitol.

We exit the ceremony almost immediately to get changed and prepare for our train ride back to District Twenty Two. I put on a comfortable grey, long-sleeve shirt that hung off my shoulders and paired them with some light blue shorts. I open the door and an Avox runs in taking my luggage up to the roof of the apart, where the hovercraft was waiting to transport us to the trains.

“Hey Cato.” I say when I see him leaning casually on the wall beside my door. He puts his arm around my waist as we walk to the elevator in silence. The door opens and we enter the hovercraft after saying our goodbyes to Flux and Ivory. The ride went awfully quickly and soon enough we board the train.

I stare in awe as I see the variety of food laid out on a giant table. I quickly gobble it up; it tasted like nothing I’ve ever tasted before. Well, actually because I was eating arena food for the last week. Cato looked dead tired so I continue eating while he falls into a deep sleep. I couldn’t wait to see Glimmer and Marvel again. I hold my stomach, after feeling stuffed. I slump down on the seat across from Cato. I watch as he sleeps and I doze off myself. I feel a hand running down my face. I reach out to grab it.

“It’s just me.” Cato laughs.

“And who would that be?” I reply jokingly.

“A gorgeous guy who’s married to a cute girl that looks a lot like you.” He answers back while laughing more.

I put my hand on the back of his neck and pull him closer. My lips slightly brush against his but only the tips touch. He closes his eyes but I bring my fingers up and press them against my lips. I smile while holding in my laughter as I push my fingers on his lips.

“No kisses for you.” I tease while the train comes to a halt.

I try running out as he chases me but he was faster. Cato grabs my waist and spins me around so that I would face him.

“I won’t let go ‘till you kiss me.” He smirks. I go on my toes and he leans down but just before we kiss…

“Stop with the PDA’s you guys!” Glimmer jokes.

“We saw enough of it on TV.” Marvel agrees.

“Glimmer!” I scream out while running to her and giving her a nice long hug. Cato greets Marvel and they have a friendly conversation. In the next few hours, before the mysterious night falls, I catch up with Glimmer, Emera and Rue. We all head home and I have a comfortable night without any danger seeking me.