Chapter 16 "Life After the Games"

~6 Years Later~

Cato’s PoV

Life had been peaceful in District Twenty Two but a few tributes here were lost in the Games. I was twenty-four now, going on twenty-five today. Clove was fairly younger at the age of twenty-two. By now Glimmer and Gale had gotten married and Emera and Robert were engaged. I wake up with the sunlight blinding my eyes and I look at Clove who was still asleep. I get up lazily out of bed and change my clothes. I lightly kiss Clove on the cheek and leave the house. Marvel was outside holding something in his hands.

“Uhh…what’s up?” I say awkwardly. He looks up sadly with a frown.

“I’m nervous.” He stutters.

“For what?”

“For this.” Marvel replies while showing me what was in his hand. It was a small box, which contained an engagement ring.

“Don’t worry, she’ll say yes.” I reassure.

“Ha. Thanks, happy birthday too.”

I watch as Clove makes her way out of our house to Rue. “Thank you, but I’m going to go now. See you later.”

Marvel waves while I walk back into the house. I close the door behind me and prepare some breakfast. I hear the door slam again and Clove walks in.

“Oh, you’re here.” She says happily. “Well this day is going to be all about you.”

“Do I get something?” I ask while eating.

“You’ll see.” She answers slyly.

Clove spent a bit of time in the kitchen while I watched the current games. She returns and covers my eyes with the palm of her hands.

“Keep your eyes closed, I have a surprise!” She says excitedly. I hold my eyes shut, tightly as I hear her footsteps approaching.

“You can open them now.” She instructs. I open my eyes and stare in amazement at what she done for me. She had cooked me something that looked like it came out of a five-star restaurant.

“I’m so lucky to have you.” I say in awe.

“Why thank you.” She says while kissing my cheek. I start digging into the food while Clove watches TV patiently. After I finish eating, we put on our favourite movies and cuddled on the couch together. We finish our last movie of the marathon and head to our bedroom.

The window was open with a cool breeze blowing in. The half-crescent moon shining over the stars. We stand in the dim light, facing each other. The colour of her eyes standing out as I stare into them while I hold her in my arms.

“Best day ever.” I chuckle. “You know what would make it better?”

“Wha-“ I interrupt by kissing her. My arms snake around her body, between her waist and legs. I lift her up and she wraps her legs around me as we fall gently on the bed. I unlock our lips and begin kissing her neck as her fingers ride up my back. She pulls my shirt off me and I smile at her. She does a cute little laugh while I pull hers off as well. We gaze at each other for a while; I lock my lips with hers once again. Our bodies grind against each other for every move we make. I had to calm this irresistible temptation of wanting this to be forever.

Clove’s PoV

Magical. Flawless. I don’t know what words to describe last night, maybe just indescribable. I look at his dazzling eyes and felt like I was falling in love again. The rushing feeling of my heartbeat and my stomach feeling twisted when I saw his gorgeous body. Wait a second, my stomach did feel twisted and in pain. I quickly put my clothes on and clench my stomach. I felt the urge to vomit and I bolt to the bathroom.

“Are you alright?” Cato peers in, fully dressed.

“Much better now.” I say while emptying the bucket. I moan and I fall on the bed again.

“I need some sleep.” I mumble while my eyes close.

~4 years later~

Clove’s PoV

“Chase! Be careful!” I yell out to my son, Chase. He had the same dark hair as me but got his electric blue eyes from his dad. He starts running around the house insanely. Hopefully, he wouldn’t fall over. Chase picks up my throwing knives and starts running outside. I watch him from a window; looks like he has my talent. He aims for different objects in the backyard, mostly trees.

“There she is!” Cato exclaims behind me. I turn around and smile as Cato walks to me cradling Clover gently in his arms. It was Cato’s idea to name her after me. I brush my fingers gently across her face and her green eyes lit up instantly. Cato puts her on the ground and she starts wondering around the house, crawling.

“Looks like Chase can throw knives.” I say while glancing at Chase.

“Like his beautiful mum.” He replies flirtatiously. I give a little laugh and tiptoe to kiss him. My arms wrap around his neck as he holds me tighter. I pull away quickly when suddenly there is a sound of clattering on the ground.

“Where’s Clover?” I ask frantically.

“She crawled off somewhere.” Cato answers somewhat calmly. We scan the entire house and find Clover in the living room. She was gurgling happily while admiring Cato’s sword and mucking around with it. I rush over to her and pull the sword out of her tiny hands. Clover looks at me, disappointed and tears start forming in her little green eyes. I pick her frail body up and hold her head against my shoulder.

“Shh. Shh. It’s okay baby.” I comfort while stroking her small amount of blonde hair. She lets out an adorable cough and I smile to myself.

“We should get Chase.” I say to Cato.

Chase was still throwing knives; this would be great training if he were participating in the games. Our children had to move to District Two anyway. Chase would get them all perfectly which reminded me of well, me, when I was younger. He threw the last knife and Cato starts clapping.

“Good job, kid.” Cato says proudly while putting his hand up for a high-five.

“Am I as good as mum?” Chase replies happily.

“Even better than her.” Cato whispers just loud enough for me to hear.

“I heard that.” I yell out and they both burst out laughing.

“Very funny. Anyway, that was awesome Chase!” I exclaim while he runs to me for a hug. Chase takes notice of his little sister and squeezes her cheeks.

“How about I teach you how to throw knives?”

“Yeah!” He says excitedly.

“Cato, could you take Clover inside, she’s starting to fall asleep.” I ask nicely.

“Sure.” He says while kissing my forehead and taking Clover in his arms.

Cato’s PoV

Clover blinks her sparkly green eyes a few times and closes them. A faint snore comes out of her mouth. It felt graceful and calm, watching her sleep. She looked so innocent and fragile like anything could break her. Everything about her resembled Clove when I first met her, maybe except the hair. I snap out of my thoughts and lay her on a bed gently. I sat at the edge of the bed and stare at the sunset. I watch Clove as she demonstrates different techniques of knife throwing to Chase. I chuckle as Chase jumps on Clove causing her to fall into the mud on the ground. My eyes began feeling heavier so I lay on my side facing Clover. I kiss her cheek, feeling her soft skin on my lips and drift off.