Chapter 10 "Ten"

Cato’s PoV

I take a glance at Clove; her eyes were going white and her body toppled over. I hold my arms out and cradle her. I could see a cut across her waist and a small wound on her left cheek. I rip off a bit of my jacket and wipe the blood of her face and waist. I then held it on the back of her head to stop the bleeding. Clove’s face was almost white now and her freckles were clearly seen from afar. I walk around the forest looking for somewhere to rest Clove and I. I find a giant tree, which to my amazement, was hollow on the inside. I fold my jacket neatly and place it under Clove’s head. I could hear an irritating beeping outside; when I check there was a parachute. I couldn’t be happier to see it; too bad it was very high up. My weight didn’t help in climbing trees as I remember from the 74th Hunger Games. I get a few metres up the tree without falling and I continue climbing until I reach the parachute. Suddenly I hear a crack in the branch I was holding onto. I quickly grab the parachute and brace myself for the fall. It was a soft landing though although the impact did hurt. I massage my arm and enter the tree.

Clove has still not awoken or even changed positions. The cannon hasn’t gone off yet which kept me relieved. I lift up Clove’s shirt about 3 inches so the cut was visible. I open the parachute and find a note saying, “Can be used for any type of injury. Don’t die on us now! –G & M” G & M would probably be Glimmer and Marvel. I find a small container of healing balm and a bandage. I take a small amount of the balm and rub it gently on her cut. After that, I carefully move Clove on her side so I could apply the balm on the back of her head. I brush the hair away and apply it on. I thought of any more injuries she had, her fingers! I take a generous amount of balm and spread it over each broken finger; they felt so fragile, like you could snap them off like twigs in a Nano-second. I reach for the bandage and wrap it around them. I remember my left shoulder; I take some balm and rub it on. I walk out to feel the wind and the air gradually turning colder. I found firewood and flints to start a fire. I walk back quickly and Clove was sitting up now.

“Clover!” I scream out in joy while dropping all the wood in the hollow tree. I run over and press my lips against her. The blazing sunset was no disappearing and night soon took over. I started the fire and we start eating the dried beef we rationed before. As usual, night was freezing. The fire was crackling and the walls of the tree contained its heat, keeping us warm for the majority of time. I wrap my jacket around both Clove and I. After about a few minutes, I heard something outside and went out to check. It was just the Careers passing through; thank god they didn’t take any notice of us. A drop of water falls on my forehead and the rain felt like icy cold pieces of glass shattering on my face. I run in and sit closer to the fire, hoping my damp clothes would dry quickly. Thunder cracks that frightened Clove, she grabs onto my arms and holds it close. Rainwater seeped through the wood of the tree and trickled down. I lay down on the ground and Clove rests her head on my arm, I move her closer. Her skin felt so cold it sent shivers up my spine. She was now warming up from my body heat. I lightly kiss her forehead and close my eyes.

Clove’s PoV

I felt confusion running through my head, there was something missing, Cato. The walls of the tree were still slightly wet, the fire still having a small spark with wood turning charcoal black. Fear ran through my body as I walk out. My knives were clutched tightly into my hands; they were getting slippery because my palms were sweating. I scan around the forest and the glowing eyes of an owl, lit up the dark morning sky. A distant flash in the forest sent tingles through my fingers. The eerie darkness made it harder to see anything. My foot is suddenly caught on something and my chest hits the ground. It was shining from the moon, blinding my eyes from a different angle. I reach down for it, a machete with fresh blood on the tip of it. I hold my breath as I run and I have a sudden stop. Two tributes surrounding a body, barely alive, on the ground. I take a deep breath out and the air was now a puffy white. The two tributes have taken off now, leaving the body there. I contain my tears inside me I saw his body. Just lying there, I go on my knees.