Chapter 12 "Stolen"

Clove’s PoV

The last thing I remember was Cato holding me but his arms were no longer around me. I shake my head around and my hair falls behind my shoulders. The atmosphere was different somehow; there was also a stinging in my arm. I look at my arm and see a splinter, stuck deep in my skin from the tree behind me. I tug my arm and feel my wrists stuck together. A bruise was forming there because the rope was tight. My knives were in my pocket, luckily but sadly for me I had no way of getting to them. “Where am I?” I think to myself. I breathe out heavily and the air fogs up in front of me. I could see a figure walking towards me, I couldn’t tell who it was from the darkness.

“Look who’s awake.” The girl says. Her straight blonde hair comes into my sight. Genevieve. She cackles and her silhouette disappears once more. Silver slumps down next to me. “Good morning Clove.” She greets warmly.

“Can you untie me?” I plead.

“She’ll kill Aidan if I do that.” Silver answers tiredly.

“I hate her. Do you know where Cato is?” I scowl.

“To be honest, no one knows. When we found you, you were lying on the ground unconscious but I’m sure Cato is freaking out looking for you.” She replies casually.

“Oh.” I sigh.

“I mean that is part of the plan.” She blurts out.

“What plan?”

“Oops. I’m so going to die.”

“Not if she finds out.” I smirk.

“Fine. Cato’s meant to come looking for you. Genevieve is going to use you as bait so he doesn’t kill us then she’s going to kill him and then you.”

“That’s pretty smart.” I say, disappointed.

“It is, isn’t it? Well today’s all about finding the girl from 11 and you’re helping.”

“Really?”

“You’re tagging along otherwise Cato might help you escape.”

Genevieve, Atlas and Aidan come back and untie me. I rub my bruise on my wrists and walk between Genevieve and Aidan. Atlas holds his finger up against his lips, indicating for us to be quiet. He then points at the girl from 11 who had just noticed us and begins running. She had tremendous speed probably from her lightweight and throwing her backpack off. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me but I saw him, Cato. I needed to distract the Careers to help him get away.

Cato’s PoV

The District Eleven girl runs past me but I grab her and pin her to the nearest tree.

“Where is Clove?” I ask angrily, desperately needing an answer. I hold my machete up to her throat. She swallows on something hard.

“Do you mean the small one, with the dark hair?” She asks.

“Yes, that one. Do you know where she is?”

“She’s a hostage of the Careers.”

“That better be true.”

“Go look for yourself.”

I lean over to the side and see Clove running with the Careers.

“Thanks.” I say gratefully while letting her go. I walk slowly up to the Careers while the girl from eleven runs incredibly fast, away from this area.

“Stop!” I hear Clove scream out.

“Why should we listen to you?” Genevieve says with an angry tone.