Chapter 2 "Returning to the Capitol"

Clove’s PoV

We were going back in the arena again. I was actually excited for this; I missed the rush of adrenaline when I threw a knife at someone. I walk slowly out with Cato trailing behind me, when I board the train it was completely empty, just a display of food a comfy two-seated chair. No mentor this time, I say quietly to myself. The door slams and the train slowly prepares to move. The train gets faster and faster. I look at the food and decide not to eat but then my stomach grumbles, I think I needed rest more than food. My eyelids were getting heavy.

“Why don’t you eat?” Cato asks sweetly while I walk over and slouch down on the chair.

“I’m not hungry.” I lie while my eyes close.

A giant bang comes out of nowhere and my eyes shoot open. I feel warmth all through my body. I turn my head to find Cato leaning on me. I slowly move away so I don’t wake him up.

“How cute.” I whisper under my breath. I walk over to the door marked with a 21 because that’s where the sound came from. There is a giant glass window; this would be the District 1 tributes from a previous Hunger Games. I peer through it one more time and there is a girl with straight blonde hair and hazel eyes screaming at the dark haired boy with green eyes. The girl was obviously pretty coming from District 1 but Glimmer would always be the prettiest girl ever. The boy was completely different from Marvel, he looked more serious but pretty handsome. They didn’t like a couple because firstly she was telling him off and he didn’t look like he cared. The boy tribute glances at me. I thought of running but my feet stayed glued to the floor. He shrugs his shoulders and smiles. I wanted to be friendly and smile at him.

My stomach had a really empty feeling to it and so I walked over to the display of food. I stare at it and tilt my head slightly, thinking of what I should get. I just take a piece of chicken and a bit of salad. I walk over to the door on the other side of the room with the mark of 23. I stare anxiously through it and look at the tributes inside. It was a light brown-haired girl with chocolate eyes. She was talking to her district partner but in a friendly way. They were more like best friends not a couple. I sigh in relief knowing that those four opponents were easier to defeat. The District 1 tributes looked harder to kill, I bet they were going to start a Career Pack.  The train makes a sudden stop and I lose my balance and fall down. I start groaning and Cato wakes up and his eyes widen at the sight of me. I can tell he’s trying to hold in his laughter.

“Are you okay, clumsy?” he asks.

“Nope.” I reply while emphasising the ‘p’. He pulls me up while the door opens. President Snow. Again.

He stares at us with evil lurking deep within his eyes. “We will be arriving soon so go get ready.”

The door closes and we wait about 5 minutes until the train starts moving again. I remember the tunnel that we went through just before seeing a colourful burst from all the unusual clothing the Capitol wore.

I cuddle up to Cato to show some affection and possibly win over some sponsors. We smile and wave just like most people do.  The train stops slowly this time and we walk out, holding hands. The Peacekeepers escort us into the rooms where we had to do the waxing. This was a pain.

“Don’t worry. We aren’t waxing you, just washing you and getting your outfits ready.” A voice says. “My name’s Flux, yours?” he says nicely.

“Clove.”

“Like a four-leaf clover? That’s pretty.” He says while someone washes my body.

“My boy-,” I stop myself, “I mean husband calls me that.”

“I bet you two are really cute together. Stand up now.”

He looks at me and asks, “District 2 is about weapons right?”

I nod with an evil smirk; I know where this is going.
“Hmm… I have the perfect outfit.”

Cato’s PoV

This outfit was a thousand times better than the other one, I wasn’t criticizing my stylists from last time, and I just liked this one better. It was a tight black suit with all sorts of weapons stuck to it. Clove’s one looked better on her, it was tight around her waist and legs, her knives were attached to it. Her hair was curled and left out; my hair was swept onto one side.

“Love the hair.” She says in a girly accent. I shake my head at her then pick her up and walk on the golden chariot. I threw her down ‘carefully’ and she laughs while standing up. I look at the District 1 tributes; they are wearing sparkly gold clothes and headpieces. The male tribute turns around and stares directly at Clove. He smiles shyly at her. She smiled back at him but I could see it in her eyes that she was only trying to be friends, nothing more. I shake all these negative thoughts out and save them for the arena.

The first golden chariot led the way and the rest followed. Our chariot is slowly moving as the doors opened. The crowd was warmed up with District 1’s sparkly outfits that hurt my eyes every time the light went on them. There was a loud cheer for us but not loud enough, if I really wanted to win these games I needed to impress the Capitol.

“Clove.”

“Yes?” She says while looking up at me, still waving.

“Is it loud enough for you?”

“Nope.”

“I have a plan.” I say while smirking. I hold her by the waist and count 1, 2, 3 and I use my strength to pull her up over my head so she sits on my shoulders. Now this was what I needed, a roar of clapping and screaming erupted from the crowd, even better than what Katniss got. I think the rest of the tributes in the parade were a letdown compared to us, except District 4 because they were Careers. They seemed to glance at each other a lot, the boy who had dark hair and brown eyes, blushed every time she looked and girl would play with her hair. The girl had lighter hair than Clove with a little bit of blonde in it and she had auburn coloured eyes. “Aw, how adorable.” Clove says, noticing I was staring at them. My shoulders were getting sore while we were halfway through the chariot rides. “You tired?” Clove asks nicely. I nod and she easily slides off and kisses me. That just instantly made all the pain go away, it also made the crowd aw and

sigh.

All the chariots stop in front of a high platform where President Snow stood. “Ahem.” He says while the sound dies down. “Welcome to the First ever Fallen Hunger Games. These tributes are from the 62nd to the 74th Hunger Games and they will compete each other for your entertainment. This is one special event only for the Capitol to see. There will be two victors since I know you all like a bit of drama and romance right?” The crowd cheers again. I decided not to listen to the rest of the speech; it was very boring after all. The anthem starts playing and the chariots turn around back through the doors and into the Training Centre.