Chapter 4 "Training"

Cato's PoV

A door slamming open wakes Clove and I up. "Oops sorry." Flux says while chuckling. "Here are your training outfits. Hope everything goes well today." I think Clove was more comfortable with me now, she changed and I resisted the temptation to look. I start changing just to take my mind off it, a door closes and I am alone in the room, well I think I am. I hear water running from the bathroom. I walk out to eat and Ivory was already chewing on food like there was no tomorrow. Flux wasn't here at all.

"Training starts in 10 minutes so you'd better get going." She says with her mouth stuffed. Clove exits the room and eats a bit quickly. I hold her hand tightly while we walk in the Training Centre. Atala tells us that using each weapon is compulsory this time and so is each skill station, to make the competition harder.

Everyone split up and went to separate stations; I first went to camouflage station. I remembered Peeta painting his arm. There was trainer there but I ignored everything, this was not my skill and I didn't need it. I got bored easily with these particular skill stations I preferred weapons. Atala didn't let us go near the weapons yet. I wanted time to pass quickly but the first day was all about the survival skills. I went to the edible insects and plants station. I examine the plants and insects and memorize them; I felt the need to know them because I wasn't part of the Careers this time. I try fire making. Easy enough. I didn't go near the fishing station because I already knew how to fish, with a spear. I look at the Hammock making station, this could be helpful. I go over there and accidentally bump into someone, a Career that was surprisingly nice.

"Sorry." He says nervously like I was going to attack him.

"Don't worry about it, I'm Cato."

"Thanks, my name's Aidan."

"You in the Career Pack?"

"Yep. Don't want to be in though, its just so I can stay alive for longer."

"I'm not joining this time."

"Everyone be quiet." The trainer says and then demonstrates hammock making. Knots, shelters and snare setting were very easy and it could help. I look around for Clove; she was talking to the District 4 girl at the camouflaging station, they looked like they were getting along very well.

Atala announces lunch and we all head out to the cafeteria. Everyone sits with his or her District partners and I try to find Clove. Something jumps on my back and had cute giggles. All I can think is Clover. She pulls me down and presses her lips on mine. I felt like a million eyes were on me. We sit on a table and she talks so adorably about how she couldn't wait to use new weapons and her knives again. We were the only ones besides the Careers who weren't scared of these Games. I watch as Clove stuffs herself with food and swallows quickly.

Clove's PoV

Second day of training was so much better; we finally got to use the weapons! I decided to save the best for last and start with the axes because I have never tried fighting with those before. I take an axe of its stand and my hand falls straight to the ground. I never expected it to be this heavy. I lift it up with two hands now. I take aim and throw it, easily missing the target. I look around, fortunately no one saw me except Silver. She walks over and laughs a bit.

"This is how you do it." She says then gives me a few tips. I try one more time and get it closer to the middle.

"Thanks, this is your weapon right?"

"I guess it is." She replies with a smile. I stand here and decide what station I should go to next.

Hmm... I'll try hand-to-hand combat, I've done that with Cato before so I shouldn't be that bad. We practice with a trainer because we couldn't fight other tributes yet. It wasn't fair though, it was 4 against one small me. The come running to me, I elbow one in the face then kick one in its knee. I throw my fist at another's face but the last one tackles me to the ground. They punch me in the face; he wasn't as strong as Cato but still strong. I barely dodge his next punch but I bring my leg up close enough to knee him in the stomach.

"Wow. You're good." One of them says while groaning.

"I know." I say arrogantly while flicking my hair and striding to the next station.

Archery, something I'm not that good at. I remember how good Katniss was at this, I mean it got her an 11. I take the bow and arrow and draw my arm back. I knew I did it wrong in the second the arrow left. It was such a bad shot it nearly hit the District 11 girl. 'Oops' I whisper. I felt someone hold me but it wasn't Cato, it just didn't feel like him. He was holding my shoulders and arm, ready to take aim with my next shot.

"Take one deep breath and don't breathe out until you let go." He says gently. Atlas, I could tell by his voice. I did what he said, not because it was him, it was because I was determined to get it right. The arrow hits straight in the middle.

"You got it!" he screams and suddenly puts his arms around me. This felt really awkward; I didn't hug back of course.

"Stay away from her!" I hear Cato say angrily. Oh no, this isn't good. Two strong guys who could both easily snap me in half like a twig.

Cato reaches him and throws a punch at him. It hits his face making his nosebleed. "Don't touch her."

"What will you do about it? Huh?" Atlas mocks while wiping the blood of his face. No, that's just going to make it worse, I think to myself.

"I'll kill you!"

"Fair enough."

They went straight at each other and I started all of this. My entire fault, I didn't see this coming at all. I had to do something about. I hear grunts and moans of pain. They were wrestling each other on the ground.

"Stop it!" I scream while running over and pulling them apart.

"Clove move, I don't want you to get hurt." Cato says while pushing me away. Being very clumsy I stumble and hit my head on the hard floor. I groan and just watch them fight. My vision turned blurry and I was dizzy. I see the trainers pulling them apart and stopping the fight.

Cato's PoV

I run over to Clove and shake her unconscious body. "Wake up!" I say desperately. "Please." She rubs her head while I clench her hand. "I'm here, I'm alright." She says. I help her up and kiss her head. The District 1 girl was death staring Clove. I shot her a 'what are you looking at' stare and she rolls her eyes and tends to Atlas. She looked like she was jealous, she liked Atlas. I do some weightlifting and then lose myself in watching Clove throw her knives. The Careers look at her like they needed her and Atlas still liked her. Silver clapped and complimented her.