Chapter 13 "The Finale"

Clove’s PoV

It felt like an illusion, last night, the kiss. It felt like something hit me in the head when I realise, it was only the Careers left and us. I blow the matted hair out my face and start packing all my knives into my belt. This was the finale; they had to get a good show. I watch as Cato slowly opens his eyes, I couldn’t get over how beautiful the electric blue colour was and how it changed into an icy blue when the light changed. I hand him the machete that was lying on my side.

“Thanks.” He says not shortly after I hand it to him. He kisses my cheek and begins to get up.

“We’re going to the Cornucopia now.” He says while holding my hand.

“This should be fun.” I smirk as I follow along beside him. The weather was actually decent today; maybe the Capitol wanted a better fight so they made sure we weren’t dying of heat.

The Careers were all gathered together at the Cornucopia. I decide to ease the tension.

“Hey guys!” I scream out and wave, I didn’t sound like myself, I sounded…friendly. Genevieve growls. “It’s nice to see you too, Genevieve.” Cato starts laughing at my silly remarks but remains silent after Atlas and Genevieve give him death glares. Silver and Aidan smiled at us while pulling out there weapons, I figured they would try and go for Genevieve.

“Every District for themselves.” Genevieve scowls at everyone. “Atlas, I’ll go for four.” Genevieve pulls out two knives, which were even sharper than before.

Aidan’s PoV

Genevieve starts running at me but I hold up my trident just in time to deflect it. I always knew she was a better fighter and also very ruthless. I swing the trident so it knocks a knife out of her hand. She reaches in her pocket for another one. What did she have, an endless supply of incredibly dangerous knives? Her next move caught me off guard and cut my lower arm deeply. I grunt in pain and Silver gasps. Suddenly, Genevieve isn’t in front of me anymore. She was one sly girl but also violent. She plants her foot on my back and I fall, face first on the ground. I couldn’t see what was happening now. The dirt stinging my eyes and the disgusting taste in my mouth of grass.

“Say bye to your little girlfriend.” Genevieve taunts then brings her knife down on my back.

Silver’s PoV

“No! Aidan!” I scream out as Genevieve stabs him. Clove runs up to me and holds my arm back while the cannon blows.

“If you take her on your own, you’ll get killed.” Clove says.

“My heart stopped beating the moment the cannon fired.” I say with no emotion. I burst out crying and Clove hugs me. “No, I can’t live without him.”

I wasn’t going to regret this; my heart was too broken for me to think anything right. I just needed to be, with him. I stand over his dead, bleeding body and just continue to cry. Genevieve cackles and says, “How pathetic.”

I had a burning desire to murder her ruthlessly right here, right now and avenge Aidan but I just didn’t have the strength. Clove slowly walks over to me and says, “I’m sorry, I’ll kill her for you, both.”

I sneak my hand into her belt and pull out her knife. I chuck my axe carelessly away, not knowing where it went.

“F*ck.” I hear Genevieve mutter; I turn around and see my axe had actually cut across her left shin. I smile a bit to myself and say, “Bye Clove.”

Cato’s PoV

“Silver!” Clove screams out in pain as she drops on the ground, with her knife in her chest. The cannon echoes throughout the arena. I throw my arms around as she tries to get out.

“Clover, don’t.” I say calmly.

Atlas comes charging towards us with a sword, where was his bow and arrow? I pull out the machete and hit the sword with it. Clove ducks out and runs at Genevieve.

“You could never beat me in a fight.” I taunt. Atlas ignores what I said and keeps lunging at me but I always either dodge or deflect his moves. He swings his sword at me and it leaves a severe cut across my hand, causing me to drop the machete.

“Ow.” I say while he smirks. “We’re not done here. Yet.” I say while sucking up the pain in my hand. I clench my fist in tightly and strike his face. I could hear a faint crack in the background. Atlas claps his hands in front of his disfigured nose as his back hits the wall of the Cornucopia. He laughs nervously while blood pours out of his face. I snatch his sword out of his hand and he calls breathlessly, “Genevieve, help me.”

A gory death I would say, for Atlas. He deserves it for kissing my Clove anyway. I bring the sword down into his neck. Blood splatters out, some hits my face and some were leaving a mark on the Cornucopia. I pull the sword out one last time and his body drops, lifelessly. “And that’s for kissing Clove.” I mumble to his dead body.

The cannon goes off and my eyes wonder around looking for Clove. I turn around to face her and she was lying there with a deep bleeding wound on her leg. She looks up at me but her eyes divert to something behind me. “Cato! Look out!” She yells out. I spin my head and body around, Genevieve was charging at me. Her eyes weren’t hazel anymore, they were changing to a more reddish colour, and they were bloodshot too. Her knives slash at my chest and her hair flew everywhere on every time she tries to injure me.

Clove’s PoV

Cato couldn’t keep up with Genevieve’s monstrous energy that was beaming out of her like she had completely changed from her snobby personality. I couldn’t let her beat Cato, he didn’t even have a weapon, and it’s a miracle that he survived this long without any injury. The pain in my leg where Genevieve stabbed me was bleeding all over the ground. I use my last bit of strength to take out one of my biggest knives. My arms felt like falling off but I still could do it. I force the knife out of my hand and in one shot, as always, it lands in its target.

“That stupid blonde.” I murmur to myself.