Chapter 1

Back where it began

I can recall the very first time it happened. We were home alone and he came into the room. I was just 10 years old and he was 12. It was just 2 am. The demon decided to come out of hiding, after being locked away for so long it was time to play. He had this heinous smile on his face and his eyes were wide open but terrifying to me. I sat up in the dark room that was barely lit by the cracked door that he came through. I rubbed my sleepy eyes and looked up at him as he walked up to me. He slowly leaned on the bed and opened his mouth showing his fang like teeth. “Emily he’s dead” he said to me. I knitted my brows in confusion, looking for any clue in his expression that would allow me to understand what he was talking about.

“Who?”I asked him leaning closer and his smile widened as he reached behind his back and pulled out Mr. Giggles my favorite teddy bear. My eyes widened with terror as Mr. Giggles head was no longer attached to his body. I screamed in fright causing him to grip my shoulders pulling me to his chest and wrapped his arms tightly securing me. “I’m sorry, I thought you would have liked it very much” he said. I held back my tears as I was now afraid of what he might do to me. “You won’t tell mom…right?” he asked looking me dead in the eyes. I quickly shook my head and he smiled pleased with my response.

He pulled me back to his body and for some reason I was comfortable in my step- brother’s arms. The way the warmth of his body wrapped around me made me hum and rest my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes and snuggled closer to him when my eyes

burst open and tears ran down from them. My mouth was open but I couldn’t even scream. He released me and looked into my face with a grey look. I looked down at my side and held it as blood oozed from my fresh wound.

He held the knife to his face and licked the blood that dripped from it taunting me with his eyes. I wanted to scream but the pain was too intense for me. I held onto the split that was made in my side and tried to get up, only to be stopped by him. He pushed me down on the bed and I looked at him begging for mercy using my eyes and expression. “WHAT THE!” my mother yelled as she rushed over to me. “Mom she was trying to commit suicide” Alejan said with tears streaming down his brown cheeks. My mother grabbed my arm and threw me over her shoulder racing through the door.

As I looked back all I could see was his smile and wide eyes directed right at me and then darkness used his hands to cover my eyes.

Six years later….

“Emily, get up!” mom yelled from downstairs and I groaned twisting in my bed. “Honey you breathing up there?” she asked and I could hear the seriousness in her voice. If I didn’t answer anytime soon her heart would be running around the house. “In a minute” I said and sat up rubbing my sleepy eyes. I looked up at the door way and shrieked as he stood there with his ankles crossed, he had a mug between his palms, his red hair curled in his face with the sides faded, his black jacket looking crushed on his chest and that heinous smile.

“Get up Emily...you don’t want to be late and you definitely don’t want to make me wait” he said and walked off. I watched the door until I was sure that he was gone and then I raced to the bathroom. In a few minutes I was done and I had to wear what he liked me to wear. I dragged on an aqua mini skirt and a white crop top with some white boots. My reddish-brown straightened hair hugged my face as I grabbed my bag. I ran downstairs and took a seat beside my mother. I avoided eye contact with him as I could feel his intense stare on me. “Are you okay baby?” my mother asked. She does this every morning and I hated it, there was nothing wrong with me…it’s just what he made her believe that bothered me.

We ate silently and then he got up which made me jump to my feet as well. I was terrified even shaking a little. I didn’t want to go with him because he might try something evil again. “Bye mom” he said and hugged her. “Bye…mom” I said as I looked everywhere else but on him and hugged my mom. He took my hand and I flinched but tried my best to remain calm as he dragged me outside. My heart was racing and I couldn’t tell his intentions at all. As we arrived outside he raised my hand and twirled me around slamming my back harshly to the wall. He gripped my throat and I held his hand. “If I catch you talking to any other guys I will eradicate you and make sure you are at my table at lunch…don’t try anything dim-witted beautiful…you might get wounded” he said and released me.