Chapter 3

THERE IS NO ONE THERE

My eyes fluttered open due to the small amount of light that peeped through my door. WAIT MY DOOR! My head snapped towards it and I heard my heart now trying to burst through my throat. Did he? My chest was heaving and I didn’t even know what to do now. Fear stood up in me causing my knees to knock together. My mother came walking through the door and I jumped but relaxed. “Good morning love” she said. I sighed and went over to the bed. It felt good as the soft sheet held me. I opened my eyes to see a slight glimpse of my brother’s heinous smile as he passed the door. 

    I jumped up and mom looked at me for a while then continued doing what she was doing. I was so relieved that she was with us today. She seemed to be alright and in a normal mood. “I’m not going to work today” she said and I smiled a little.  Now I had a mission, one I wasn’t quite sure on how to do. How will I get out of this house without being grabbed by my brother?

…………………………….

AHHHHHHH!” I screamed as I ran away from him. “STOOOP!” he yelled out to me but I ran like my life depended on it. My hair blew in the wind and it was as if everything went in slow motion. I looked around at him with my hair slapping me in the face as I looked back in my direction. His face held a lot of anger and betrayal on it. I didn’t have time to scream, I just knew I needed to run. I jumped over the bench and turned in the direction of school. I looked back and he was not there. Being caught off guard I slowed down and looked around in every direction, automatically starting to spin. “Ugh” I grunted as I was tackled to the ground and stepped on. He got up and allowed his anger to flow into his arms as he grabbed my jacket and pulled me up. He was crying and I was shaking. 

    He was yelling at me but I wasn’t hearing anything. My terrified mind was looking for an escape. The tears flowed down his cheeks and I gritted my teeth. For some reason it was as if something had been awoken in me. My eyes went dark and something pushed me and I folded my fist and punched him across the face. He flew backwards and landed with a big thud. I fell on my knees and screamed holding my head down as I tried to catch my breath. It was the first time that I have ever gotten so angry. Half the time I was either blank or scared, I have never been happy or sad. I have only felt two emotions and now this one is new. 

    It felt good to hit him with anger. I felt a big rush through my body like a spirit took me over and controlled me. It felt like something powerful entered my body. He sat on the ground with his bottom lip swollen and bleeding. I smiled. I smiled. I smiled. I didn’t know why, but I was smiling. For the first time he didn’t have any effect on me, it was the other way around. Is this a dream? I closed my eyes and opened them. “You can’t wake up this is not a dream” he said to me and I got up from the ground with my fist folded. I walked past him and he just looked at me as if he was still trying to process what just happened. I was too. 

    That was good wasn’t it? Didn’t it feel awesome? I know you would do it again. I held my head in my palms and groaned trying to shut these voices out. I clawed at my hair and fell down on my face screaming. I saw two shoes right in front of my eyes and then darkness reached down and blocked the light. In his arms Alejan took his sister. He stood there for a while looking down at her as his blood dripped on her clothes. He didn’t know what to feel or to think. He knew what happened but he didn’t want to go back there. He was running from something, something that he was terrified of so he ripped his heart from his chest hoping to never face that problem again. But instead of fixing it he was allowing it to get worse without even knowing.

    He was the only one who he left to fix the problem but Alejan turned his back on it and became the problem. He looked up and saw that kids were coming in. He looked towards the school and then headed towards home. She wasn’t that heavy for him so it was going to be a good long trip back home.