Chapter 7

FIND IT AND DRINK OF IT

At exactly 2am in the morning when all was like dead she got up listening. She touched the walls and soon moved from her room and went downstairs. She touched the wall and it pushed back. A smile slowly crept on her face going all the way back to her ears. She applied more force to the wall and the bottle became clearer to her sight. She grabbed it looking at it as though beholding the glory of heaven. She pulled it closer to her as she kissed the bottle. She sighed and got back to herself. All dark clouds disappeared and the birds chirped once more, frozen rivers flowed and the world was on a whole. There was a clear colored liquid.

   The liquid was kept in a glass bottle, one as clear as her unsound mind. She pulled the top off and smelt it. She smiled feeling like a free girl allowing the sea breeze to play in her hair. She turned it to her head, the liquid slightly touching her lips before the bottle was pulled from her hands. Her head snapped in her mother’s direction. “This is too bad now” mom said and touched the centre of her daughter’s forehead trying to send her into a deep sleep. Instead of falling like she was expecting Emily gripped her mother’s hand and pulled her closer. “I’m killing her. It’s either two things, lose me and keep her or lose both of us” she said. 

   Mother looked at the daughter with a shocked expression, her mouth just hanging open. Emily didn’t let go as she looked into her mother’s eyes, or should I say he. Mother couldn’t move. It’s been the first time in a long time since she has looked into his eyes. Heartbeats joined together as everyone felt that tingle in their spine, a tingle so compelling everyone was now calm. Emily released her mother’s hand and backed away slowly. As if something pushed her she ran up on her mother causing her to scream. She tried grabbing after the bottle that her mother held up in the air, preventing Emily from getting to it. She grunted as she jumped, anger rushing through her veins. She didn’t want to hurt her mom but still she wanted the bottle. Her mother held the side of her head and all drama came to a pause. Like a sleeping beauty Emily softly fell to the floor. 

  Alejan was called out to take his sister to her room and mother secretly went somewhere to hide the bottle. Alejan titled his head trying to see where mother was going but when she looked back at him he walked off not wanting her to know that he was watching. He placed her on the bed and covered her with a sheet. Her pale skin kind of scared him as he knew she was not eating. He looked at her one more time before running out the door slamming it behind him. She laid there frozen under the covers. She was indeed awake but asleep.

   A FEW WEEKS LATER…………………………….

   “Hey are you okay?” He asked, holding onto my arm. “Of course I am, but I’ll be running a bit late since I have my artwork to complete,” I said with a smile. He stood just looking blankly then his head snapped towards me which made me jump a little. A small smile cracked his lips before disappearing and he released his grip and walked off. He has been acting weird ever since I have gotten home from my trip to Vintage City. It was awesome there. So many things to do and sights to see. It was a fulfilling trip. I walked around with a huge smile on my face, glad to be back at school. Nothing ever changed though, I still didn’t have friends but I was happy. I bounced around the school spreading my joy to everyone that saw me. I slowed down realizing that I was the only one so happy. Everyone looked like they had lost a loved one or a dark cloud sat on their heads.

   I gripped my bag tighter and walked a little farther away from the crowd. I stood from a far off and everything was normal. I smiled and walked into my class taking my seat and dropping my bag on the floor beside me. I felt weird but I didn’t pay it any mind. I wrote my notes and happily swung my legs. What was I happy for? I had no idea. I smiled at the teacher when he made eye contact with me and he smiled back. Today felt lovely, like a huge bouquet of flowers. I felt fresh and newly awoken. I looked over at a beautiful brunette as she smiled at me. “Hey I’m Maria” she said. “Hi I’m Emily” I said feeling shy as this is really my first time talking to someone…or is it? “That’s a pretty name” she said and I smiled even more.

   After class Maria decided to sit with me at lunch. This felt so new and different but it felt good. We talked about so many different topics, ones I enjoyed. She mentioned hobbies and I froze when I came to the realization that I didn’t have any. Of course I was too embarrassed to tell her the truth so I skipped the questions. After all, she didn’t need to know that. I bit the insides of my cheeks as I looked outside, the wind was strong and the trees waved for help. The sky was now dark and grey, water droplets bolted to the earth and everyone clung to their skins. Just the quick movement of a shadow caused me to open my eyes for them to be locked with my step-brother's gaze.

  His hand crushed my blouse and his sharp teeth were in clear view. His smile was haunting and I cowered in fear as I allowed my head to fall, not wanting to look into his eyes anymore. “Let’s go” he said and pulled me to his shiny car. I shook my head in fear and dug my toes into the earth wanting to stop him. He halted and pulled me closer to him, slapping me across the face. Blood gushed from my nose as I yelped out in pain. My hand flew to my nose as he continued to pull me. He opened the door and threw me into the car. Opening the door of the car as he walked away I attempted to jump out but he caught the door of the car and slammed it on my hand. I yelled as water came to my eyes. I pulled my hand to my chest trying not to move it too much.

   I wiped the tears away and looked at my now brown black and blue skin. Seeing the bruise caused me to cry even more. My hand pounded and the pounding only made it worse. “Be quiet,” he said, looking at me with wide eyes. I sucked in a breath and closed my eyes. I was silently crying, not daring to open my eyes. He started the car and I released the breath I was holding. “I love you Emily”. I tried to force those words from my mind. I was screaming in my head. My monster was alive and running but I gripped the seat and squeezed my eyes shut. I didn’t want to know where we were going at all, if it was my death then I would rather face it blindly.

   I opened my eyes to my room. I looked around and sat up resting my weight on my two hands. I looked at my brother who sat there staring back at me with a raised brow. I frowned at him and his face went blank. “What? You’re acting really weird” he said. I allowed my feet to hang from the bed as I looked at the floor. My shoulders slouched and my face was tired, tired of only showing one common expression…CONFUSION. “Mom’s making breakfast so be down as soon as possible” he said and got up from his seat. So many questions were in my head but I refused to think. No matter what the situation I am always in my room. My dark, tired and wooden room.

   I looked at the walls and his smile appeared. I furrowed my brows together and closed my eyes and his smile was there. I jumped up and ran my hand over my face. His smile was painted on every wall I looked at. I was numb to his smile now. I sat on the bed and for the first time I smiled back at him. Or should I say I smiled with him. I wasn’t afraid of his smile or threatened by it in any way. I titled my head to the side taking in the views of all the smiles that were pasted on the walls. I sank into another deep hole that night. Just sitting on the bed and staring at the walls searching for something that is unknown to me. But he knew it.