Chapter 6

MINE AND HIS

 I looked back at the window to see if anyone came in my room and was thankful that no one was there. I kept low and tip-toed over there because I realized that this is where mother or my brother always seemed to find me and where my sinks took place the most. I ran over to the grave to see that the last name had been removed. My mouth fell in realization that the last name had just vanished. It’s disturbing, it felt like someone was definitely trying to hide something from me. I walked around the corner of the grave observing it. It didn’t seem like anyone had scrapped the name off or painted it over. This pondered in my mind as I tried to think of a way the name could just be removed like that.

    I bent down and touched the grave. It was cold. The leaves were filling the human sized hole made in it and looking closer I realized that someone was trying to fill it up. A shovel was placed beside it and a pile of dirt. I looked back and titled my head trying to see if anyone was watching me. I bit the insides of my cheek and furrowed my brows in deep thought. I walked aimlessly around the grave looking for anything I could find that would explain to me what happened to the grave. I didn’t believe that people could just get up and crawl out of a grave like that. This grave looked like it had been here for many years so why would someone want to dig it up?

………………………

   In the intake of a breath Emily began walking in a random direction. One she didn’t know about but couldn’t come to a stop. It was like a repeat of the last event that happened in her life. She didn’t feel like trying to stop this time, instead she was more concerned about where she was being led. It was a path across from the grave, one that looked darker. She closed her eyes afraid that something might jump out at her or maybe someone. She felt when she came to a stop and she listened to her surroundings first. It was telling her that she could open her eyes but slowly just in case. She slowly opened her eyes and was so shocked that her feet gave way and she fell to her knees.

   She felt weak as if all her energy had been sucked from her. What she saw in front of her had taken some of her energy. She closed her eyes and looked down begging anything to wake her up at this moment. She didn’t think it was real. She gripped the dirt under her nails tightly and silently prayed in her mind that it wasn’t real. She opened her eyes once more and looked at the grave that was right in front of her. 

   What shocked her wasn’t the grave. No…that’s not it. What shocked her…was the name written on the head stone. Emily styles. She covered her mouth as tears violently fell from her eyes attacking the soil it touched. She died. All she could do at this moment was cry. She hugged the tomb and just kept staring at the words. She didn’t want to think but…how could she not?

   “My name on a tomb…I have never died and if I died then...I don’t…who is Ethan Styles then?” she sat there heaving and shaking her head as this was far too much now. This was beyond what she could handle. It was obvious that the tomb was empty because she isn’t dead...then how can her name be written across a head stone? And just like Ethan’s tomb there was no information about when she died and when she was born. She found two tombs, both empty and both a mystery. She held her chest and leaned over almost falling into the tomb, pain had stiffened her body.

   It was as if an invisible force had harshly hit her in the back. Her hand reached around and held her shoulder as she screamed in excruciating pain. It was as if her limbs were twisting and her bones were breaking inside. She rolled right into the tomb and passed out from the pain. A couple hours later she got up. Her eyes were red and baggy, her clothes a mess and blood ran from her nose. She climbed out of the tomb and staggered her way back to the house bumping into almost every tree in her path.