Chapter 11

DEATHS' DAUGHTER

I slowly opened my aching eyes and blinked a couple times to clear my blurry vision. I threw the big red coat from my body and sat up on the couch. I scratched my head and tried to remember how I got here and where I was. I looked around at the wooden table with a vase filled with dead flowers and at the window that was slightly cracked open. I held my head in my palms forcing myself to remember anything at all. Nothing came to me. I got up unhurriedly tiptoeing towards a door. As I opened it something on the door knob caught my eyes. It looked like ancient writings.

  I ran my hand along the letters and felt them. They were engraved on the knob. I looked closely at it and it said “Death’s Daughter-born of the light but grew in darkness”. I wondered what it meant and was very confused as to why it was there. I opened the door even wider and it came slamming in my face. I stepped back a little startled and twisted the knob again this time applying a little force and again the door came slamming in my face. I stepped back and turned to the window and walked over to it. I tried to open it but it wouldn’t budge. I began panicking. It was quite clear that I was stuck. “AHHHHH!!” I yelled.

  I grabbed a chair and threw it on the window and the chair broke in pieces. It heard the click of the door knob and froze. The very hair on my neck rose. I felt icy chills run down my spine. It was him…he was in this room. “My child,” he said, his voice sounding like a thousand whispers. I held my breath not daring to look at him. “You have made me proud,” he said. I said nothing. I could hear his footsteps as he walked closer to me. At this point I felt the need to run out of my skin. I felt his hand burning on my shoulder…he had a death grip. I trembled and I couldn’t stop myself.

  “Come home with me. After all you’re just like me…you’re a killer, they fear you, you are Death” he said and that’s when he lit my fire. I grabbed his hand and threw it from my shoulder. “I’m not your daughter and I will never be like you” I said. “You killed your family…killed your husband, daughter and your son” he said. “Shut up. I didn’t kill her, I didn't kill anyone” I said looking at him this time. “Your anger will be the death of you” he said.

  I looked away knowing he was right. “My children are fine and I didn’t kill my husband, he isn't dead...Emily and Alejan are my babies” I said. “Let’s put it this way…you killed yourself coming with me to hell” he said. “No…NO…NOOOO!!”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………..

I sat there looking at him wondering if he was angry, hurt or empty… I sat there looking at her wondering if she was broken, dark or empty. (both) I knew what the answer was…all of the above. He didn’t even blink… She didn’t even blink… Was she thinking about me? Was he thinking about me? I hope he knows that I’m sorry…I hope she knows that I love her. Does he hate me? What if she doesn’t love me? He looked away and hung his head low…She was staring at me. (both) I wish I could change for her/for him.

 I got up and he slightly moved but remained still. I bit down on my lip as I walked over to him. His muscular form was tempting, even the way his shirt moved when he breathed. I sat down and slowly placed my arms around him. I heard his sharp intake of breath and I laid my head on his back as my hands went under his shirt touching his firm body. I flinched at her cold hands on my body. I didn’t know what to really do. I turned to her and she looked up into my eyes. I was terrified at least just a little. Her hand moved from under my shirt and I missed her touch. She held my face in her now warm palms and climbed on me. My heart was racing and so was hers. I wanted to stop her but I was in a trance. “Are you afraid?” she said and I nodded. Her hand went down to my shirt and she began loosening my buttons. 

  I looked down at her hands and back into her eyes. She shrugged my shirt off and held my jaw as she pushed her hair to one side and closed her eyes. I could feel her lips slowly brushing on mine. “Emily” I said in a husky voice and she kissed me. I was stiff for a while before I gripped her waist and kissed her back. My lips longed for hers. I shivered at the way her tongue massaged mine. I grabbed the back of my head and kissed me harder. She pulled away and I began licking her collarbone. She bit her lips and grabbed me even tighter. She pulled my head back up and kissed me.

 She suddenly jumped off. I looked at her with confusion. Her face was bright red and she went back to her chair and sat down. I looked at my shirt and straightened my hair. I wanted to say something but I didn’t. I think she still likes me that’s for sure…He’s my brother I shouldn’t be this attracted to him…Her kisses are like heaven…This shouldn’t have happened. (both) This is a mad world. All we have to do is wait a minute and take our time but how can I when I have a feeling he’s mine…She looks at me as though she wants me to say something but what do I say after what had just happened.

  I got up and grabbed my shirt and looked at her before heading to the door. She grabbed my hand and looked at me with her mouth open. What’s she thinking now? What should I say to him? She closed her mouth and released my hand. I stood there looking at her for a while before I scoffed and walked away. Why does this feel like a bad breakup? How would I even know what that feels like? I got up and ran to him wrapping my arms around him and he stopped his hand only inches away from the door knob. “I didn’t kill her. She killed herself” I said. I was silent. What else was I supposed to say I believe in? No I don’t… I saw her with that knife in her hands. I took her arms from around me and walked out the door. 

   He doesn’t believe me so he still thinks I did it. I went outside and looked at mom’s body. I grabbed a shovel and began digging a hole. At least now we are both free from you mom, especially me. You gave Emily hell it's time you rest