Chapter 8

DARKER AND HELL

 It was a long night of horrific screams. It wasn’t just any scream this time, it was one more frightening. Mother held her down with darkness all over her eyes and her expression had one of the dead. She stuffed a piece of cloth down her daughter’s throat as blood came up. Emily laid there fighting her mother for the whole night. She was weak, smelly and bloody. She held both her mother’s hands as she weakly kicked at her. Emily saw her life flash right in front of her eyes. She saw happiness, she saw peace, and saw…life. She smiled at herself as she looked so happy and free. Her mother squeezed her throat but there was still a smile on her face.

   “You say you love me but here you are killing us. All we want is to be free. Why won’t you let us go? I’m finding peace in your violence”. Emily stopped fighting her mother and allowed her hands to fall limp. She laid there thoughtlessly looking at her mother. Her mother blinked a couple of times and released her. She sat down on the wooden chair and placed her face in her bloody palms. She was tired, tired of fighting the demons. Emily found peace for that one moment. She sighed and turned her head and looked at her weeping mother. Suddenly that peace disappeared and she began crying as well. “You’re a fighter till the end”. She screamed holding her head.

  She hated that voice in her head. She was tired. She felt like she was a let down. “I guess I’m a disappointment” she said and got up from her bloody bed. She dragged herself down stairs and into the kitchen. She looked around at the unfamiliar room. She looked around, pulling every drawer she saw and opening every cabinet. She opened the final one and saw knives. Her eyes gleamed with darkness as she smiled at her answer. She grabbed the sharpest black handled knife and turned to her mother. A look of pain washed over her mother as she stood there holding her heart in her hand. Emily looked at the knife and backed up to see Alejan reaching his hand out to her, slowly coming closer. Her gloomy, cheerless look caused him to stop dead in her path. She gripped the knife even tighter as she backed up a little further away from him. He walked closer and she walked to the other side of the room eluding him. She hated the fatal stare she got from them both.

  She raised her hand and jammed the knife into her stomach, not feeling anything as blood gushed and she fell over into a deep dark hole. Her hands were on the ground as she felt the leaves in her palm. Her brows furrowed and soon she opened her eyes. She sat up and looked down at the blood in her palms and at the knife that sat beside her. She grabbed the knife and got to her feet looking around. She saw both her grave and Ethan’s sitting right in front of her. She gulped and walked closer to be stabbed in the back. She felt this one this time. She held her stomach and threw her head back in pain as tears ran down her cheek. The knife was pulled from her back and she fell to the floor once more. 

  She groaned and opened her eyes. There she was looking back at her cold, lifeless body in a casket. Her eyes were wide open and she dreaded what was about to happen next. One little blunder and she was looking directly at her dead face. She looked so young. They closed the casket and mommy buried her face into Alejan’s shoulder as she cried. Alejan wrapped his arms firmly around her giving her a reassuring squeeze. She touched the wooden structure of the casket and pinched her face. The body jumped up and sent a knife through her throat. She gasped for air as she looked into her own eyes and turned to her family to see the dark smiles their faces held. Her own horrid look scared her even more. They said some vile things to her as she pulled the knife from her throat. She was in unbearable pain as she held her throat to stop the blood that flowed from the wound like water from a freshly broken river rock.

   She closed her eyes as she fell backwards into another dark hole. She jumped up terrified and looked around. She was very bloody and in too much pain. She crouched down and held her stomach too afraid to make a sound. The atmosphere felt repulsive and it caused her heart to race. She got up and began running, but ran right into the arms of her waiting step-brother. He squeezed her hand, anger evident on his face. She began crying because she knew exactly what was about to happen. “You are mine. Don’t run away from me” he said. She cried even louder not knowing what to say to him. She was dead and she could feel it in her soul. She was broken, lost and angry. She screamed as she fell to her knees.

  “WHY ME? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DISPLEASE YOU? WHY SO MUCH PAIN? AHHHHHHHHH! TAKE MY LIFE IF YOU WANT TO…I have nothing more to live for” she said and he released her. She dropped herself to the ground, her face flat in the dirt. She cried and cried, she had no idea what else to do. She looked around and he was sitting on the ground looking at her. He too was lost and confused. It was like he lost his heart and soul, none of them had any. He sat there remembering when they played together, he remembered her smile. It was so bright, beautiful and true…it was real.

   They lived in a dark world. Birds didn’t chirp, butterflies died and they never heard the laughter of other children. Tears came to his eyes as he looked at her there crying her eyes out. “She did this to us, to you…to him” he said. She sniffled and looked around at him. He looked at her, his eyes holding no emotion. She got up slowly and brushed her knees off and with one swift move he stabbed her. Her mouth fell and he grabbed onto her shoulder shocked as well. She looked into his eyes choking on her own blood. “Emily? EMILY NO! I’M SORRY…I…I…I DIDN’T MEAN TO. IT WASN’T ME!” he yelled as he shook her. She fell to her knees and gripped his shirt. He shook violently as she looked into his eyes. “Heh” was all she made out before being knocked out cold. She woke up again and flew up after feeling extreme heat on her skin. She screamed continuously and stopped when her mother walked in with the lit match between her fingers. “Hello love” she said throwing that British accent in her daughter’s face.

    Emily and Alejan were surely black but Emily doesn’t know her other race since she has never met her dad before. She could feel her skin melting. She fell to the floor screaming and rolling but the fire only got bigger. “MOM PLEASE…STOOOOOOOP!” she cried out in pain. Mother chuckled and sat beside her burning daughter. “My love you are hurting us. I feel what she feels. Please stop this…I’m dying” he said and mother quickly rushed to the bathroom and grabbed a bucket of water and threw it on Emily but she still burned. She closed her eyes and then opened them. 

  Emily got up from her bed and looked around her dark, dreary room. She touched her skin and sighed when it was all there. She didn’t want to think about the disturbing dream she just had so she shrugged it off. “Are you okay?” he asked and she gasped, whipping her head around in his direction. She looked at him closely and then she began laughing loudly. “Have you been in pain like me? Are you insane like me? Have you torn yourself apart just to live a normal life? No…then you won’t understand” she said. He stepped closer to her and she scoffed and walked to her window. “I’m not human,” she said. He silently stood behind her and placed his cold hand on her cheek. She closed her eyes and allowed herself to feel the cold. “You mean something to me” he said and turned her so that she was facing him she opened her eyes and looked at his charming face. She looked down and he raised her head. He stepped closer and placed his lips on hers leaving a small peck. “You’ll understand soon enough” he said and stepped away from her. She shook her head and looked down outside at the woods. She couldn’t understand these feelings she had for her step-brother and why he would always kiss her like that. She felt a spark and she knew it was wrong and this was something she just couldn’t wrap her head around.

  Has she ever been in love? Like real love? These thoughts swam around in her brain. The warmth of his body made her smile, remembering the presence of his lips on her and his intoxicating scent of blood and rose scented perfume. She felt safe in the arms of the devil. Why? She didn’t understand her feelings. She closed her eyes and remembered the feeling, she felt so overwhelmed. Her heart raced just thinking about it. She grabbed her chest and sat down beside her bed hanging onto it tightly, trying to get him out of her mind. She closed her eyes smiling and opened them to be surrounded by knives, certainly she was dragged back to hell.