Chapter 5

Sink

Awoken by her own scream Emily flew up from her bed bothered by what she had seen in her dream. She wasn’t even sure if it was a dream for it seemed like it had to do with a grave. She felt very ham-fisted as she moved around knocking everything from her dresser. Reacting to the noise she quickly grabbed the broken pieces from the floor and threw them out the window cutting her hand in the process. She bit her lips as she thought of herself as being possessed. She closed her eyes and saw the image of the grave and opened them quickly, she backed up and tripped over her chair falling backwards on her bed. She was hot and sweating. She couldn’t keep her eyes closed for long.

    She sat steady and folded her fist as she took a deep breath in. She was sure she was awake but not until she felt a cold chill up her spin. She opened her eyes fully now and looked around not seeing anything. It was as if darkness had decided not to remove his hand from her eyes this time. She got up and looked out the window of her brick house and realized it was still dark outside. She looked at the window sill which revealed her handwritten words. She observed how the words were written. They looked like they had been there for years. She ran her hand over them and read what was said. “In the light you are not afraid of the dark, but in the dark you yield for the light”. 

   Her brows knitted in confusion as she pulled her wooden chair and sat on it trying to understand what it said. A part of her was willing to accept the fact that it was written years ago and is a part of the house's history, but another part of her is struggling to come up with a reasonable explanation for those words. It began to hurt as she wanted to stop thinking but couldn’t. She held her head and she began throwing up blood. It was dark and didn’t have a pleasant smell. She held her chest as her wooden room seemed to close in on her. Beyond the walls of the house seemed dark. The house was completely wooden with concrete steps. No one sat on the porch. No one sat on the swings. It would have seemed like the house itself had died. No one would dare to walk on its lawn…it repelled people instead of inviting them in. The house was lonely and it sulked due to its dead feeling. 

    When the sun came out the house would moan in agony and when it was dark it would creek from the cold. The thorns built a fence around it keeping everything and anything out and the woods led a path to unknown mysteries, mysteries that sat at the bottom of the ground waiting to be discovered by the hands of anyone. The house hid a lot of things and was burdened with a lot, things that only the owners knew but decided to erase from memory. In Emily’s head all she could see was his heinous smile and that grave.

    She stood up, her eyes taking on a darker shade of brown. She removed her hand from her head and like a robot walked in her blood and pushed her foot into her sneakers. She grabbed a red coat so red it could be spotted anywhere. She placed the hood over her head and hugged herself. Her hands then fell to her side and she walked outside as if being led by something. Her mouth was left open and she looked as though she was dead. She heedlessly walked out into the cold, the surrounding dark with shadows jumping from wall to wall and trees warning her to go back inside. She suddenly got this hot feeling like hellfire was lit inside of her. 

    She began walking faster towards the woods. Not seeing where she was going she was afraid but she was being forced to continue. It was like someone had put a hex on her for every bone in her body wanted to stop but she was still walking. She was led right in front of the grave where she stopped and was now looking at. She looked at it as it appeared familiar to her. She tilted her head to the side with confusion turning her face. There was a sudden flashback of her sitting beside it looking into the hole. She fell to the ground gripping onto her throat. He was there grabbing her harshly. She held his hand and swung her fist at him but he disappeared. The weather was terrible. The fog was getting thicker, the breeze blew violently and the droplets of rain were like tiny bullets from the sky that penetrated her skin.