Chapter 10

OCEAN

I looked up at my mom and him singing to me. “Happy birthday to you!” They sang. I sat with a smile on my face and looked at my beautiful red and white rose cake. I shielded my eyes a little from the sun, rocking to their song. I was 19. Finally, I smiled at Alejan who walked up to me, bent down and kissed me on my cheek. I hugged him tightly as mom placed the cake down on the towel. People wished me a happy birthday as they ran by. I sighed and listened to the water as it smashed itself against the rocks. I liked the ocean, I liked the whole thought of the two worlds in one. 

  A world up here and the strange world down there not fully seen by humans. I’m fascinated with it all. It’s peaceful in the sea, so graceful and smooth. The beauty of the sea is one for the eye of an artist to catch. I fixed my umbrella and took the beach hat from my bag. “Hey get up and come join me!” Alejan yelled. I smiled and looked at him. He looked ravishing as the water ran down his perfectly toned skin. I took the beach towel from around my waist and looked up at the clear blue sky. I looked back at him and smiled. I threw the towel on the ground and ran out to him. 

  He stood there in the water with his eyes glued to me. His smile never left his face as I walked up closer to him. He held me by my waist and pulled me to him. I smiled and shyly held my head down. He placed his hand under my chin and I nervously played with the end of his shorts. He raised my head and I looked at him again with my smile even wider. He released a yell and threw me over his shoulder. I yelled from the alarm that I had just experienced. “No, no, no, no!” I yelled and he threw me in the water. I swam back to the top with my brows furrowed and a face straight. He laughed and I walked back to shore. “Hey! Come back” he begged. I grabbed my towel and placed it around my waist and placed my shades on. I folded my arms and spread my body on the towel and closed my eyes. I felt a cold wet hand on my thigh and I opened my eyes and pulled my shades off.

  I looked at him and he gave me that smile that made me weak. I sighed and tried to fight it. He knew it always worked. I slid my shades back on and laid down trying my best to ignore him. I squeezed my toes together when his face was only inches away from mine. I turned my face to the side and he chuckled, his voice coming off deep and raspy. He held my cheeks and turned my face to him. He lowered his head and I closed my eyes as I felt his cold lips on mine. I pulled him closer and he pulled away. “Yeah…I knew I could catch you” He said and laughed. I rolled my eyes and kissed him once more, sending wild bulls all over my stomach.

  “My beautiful wife,” he said and I smiled. “You know it” I said and he kissed me once more and dumped a bucket of water over my head. “AHHHHHH!” I yelled and he ran towards the ocean. I got up and took my glasses off, throwing it to the ground as I dived after him. I opened my eyes and everywhere was dark. I looked around for him and got scared when I couldn’t see. I could feel fingers brushing up my legs and I couldn’t scream since I was under water. I panicked and tried my best to get back up to the surface. I panicked even more when I realized that no matter how hard I swam I wasn’t moving, it was as if something was pulling me down.

  I gave up and released a terrible scream and used all my might to get back to the surface. About a minute have passed and I slowly opened my eyes. I was literally peaking at the world outside my mind. I realized I was in a corner with my room door wide open. I flew up and dashed towards my door where I slammed it shut. I had no idea whether I was dreaming or not. “Who are you avoiding Emily?” he said and I flashed my body in his direction startled. My knees became weak with fear and I held on to the door to keep myself up and to also be prepared to run. “Why did you do it?” he asked. His voice was coarse, his hair damped and curled as it sat on his forehead. He had multiple missing buttons on his shirt and blood dripping from his hands.